Author Topic: KIRSOP; Lanchester area  (Read 5717 times)

Offline kalemar

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
KIRSOP; Lanchester area
« on: Tuesday 28 February 06 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for links to the KIRSOP family in the LANCHESTER area in the period 1750 - 1850.

ALLAN; AUDAS; BARUGH/BURROW; BRANTINGHAM; BROADRIGGE; BRUCE; CAMPION; CHANDLER; CHAPMAN; DOBSON; EDDON; FRANK; GAMBSBY/GAMSBY/GAMESBY; GARBUTT; HANSELL; HARLAND; HART; HARWOOD; HILL; HOLLIDAY; HOLLINGS; HOPPER; JOLLY; KIRSOP; KNAGGS; LAWSON; MARSHALL; MAYSON; MEAD; NESHAM; ORROW; PETTY; PHILLIPS; RICHARDSON; ROBSON; ROGERS; RYPLEY; SHAW; SIMPSON; SPOURS; STANFORTH; THI(U)RLBECK; THOMPSON; WALKER; WARD; WARDILL; WATSON; WELSH; WILLIAMSON; WILKINSON; YOUNGER

Offline Strawberry Mivvy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: KIRSOP; Lanchester area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 06 12:00 BST (UK) »
I have Kirsopps (two "p"s) in Lanchester, my great grandfather John William Victor is the first in my line.  I have his father as Henry Wood, and his as Joseph.

Would appreciate any information you can share

Many thanks
Wilcock - Billinge, Lancashire
Greaves - Yorkshire
Cooper - Durham
Bootland - Yorkshire/Northumberland
Kirsop - Yorkshire/Newcastle/Durham
Appleton - Durham
Atherton - Lancashire
Belton - Durham
Harker - Northumberland
Littler - Lancashire
Rigby - Lancashire
Turnbull - Durham
Waistell/Wastell/Wastol - Durham
Milburn - Durham
Robinson - Durham

Offline kalemar

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 06 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for making contact.  The spelling with one or two "p's" is, I think, largely irrelevant bearing in mind the literacy problems in those days.  Judith KIRSOP was my great grandmother and was born ca 1824 at SHOTLEY according to various census returns but I have not, as yet, been able to confirm the parish register entry.  She married Thomas MARSHALL on 16 August 1845 but he died in 1853.  He would have been my great grandfather but for the fact that my grandfather, also Thomas, was born 9 years (years not months) after Thomas the elder died!!  So far as I can make out to date, Judith's parents were Thomas Kirsop and Isabella (maiden name as yet unknown).  I hope to take a trip to Bolbec Hall, Newcastle to do some research before long when I hope to confirm some of this.  That is as much as I have at the moment save to say that Thomas and Isabella appear to have had another daughter, Mary born ca 1811, also in Shotley.  There appears to be no shortage of Kirsop names in this area of the country so whilst there may be a link it could be difficult to establish.  If anything of the foregoing is interesting to you please let me know.
Best wishes,
Bernard Kerr
ALLAN; AUDAS; BARUGH/BURROW; BRANTINGHAM; BROADRIGGE; BRUCE; CAMPION; CHANDLER; CHAPMAN; DOBSON; EDDON; FRANK; GAMBSBY/GAMSBY/GAMESBY; GARBUTT; HANSELL; HARLAND; HART; HARWOOD; HILL; HOLLIDAY; HOLLINGS; HOPPER; JOLLY; KIRSOP; KNAGGS; LAWSON; MARSHALL; MAYSON; MEAD; NESHAM; ORROW; PETTY; PHILLIPS; RICHARDSON; ROBSON; ROGERS; RYPLEY; SHAW; SIMPSON; SPOURS; STANFORTH; THI(U)RLBECK; THOMPSON; WALKER; WARD; WARDILL; WATSON; WELSH; WILLIAMSON; WILKINSON; YOUNGER

Offline Strawberry Mivvy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bernard

Can't see any immediate link, but will be in touch if anything falls into place.

Have had a frustrating last month or 6 weeks, seem to be going round in circles on my research, so keen to have a good run at it and will let you know if I come across anything likely to interest you.

Kind regards

Julie
Greaves - Yorkshire
Cooper - Durham
Appleton - Durham
Atherton - Lancashire
Belton - Durham
Harker - Northumberland
Littler - Lancashire
Rigby - Lancashire
Turnbull - Durham
Milburn - Durham
Robinson - Durham

Offline ianmgrant2000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 August 06 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi I am researching the kirsop Family name as my mother was the last of one branch of the kirsop family

she was Mary Bolton Kirsop born 1924 in Newcast

Her family came from Wickham blaydon Winlaton area
father alfred ernest Kirsop b 1886
G F Matthew b1861`
GGF William b 1827
GGGF William b 1800

It has been suggested that one reason for the changes of spelling was to distinguish between Protestant and Catholic branches of the family but the spelling at times seems interchangable and a few other variations including Kirshop and Kersop

The origin of the name I have been told was Kershope burn on the Scotish borders near Newcastleton and that the Family name possibly derived from Kerr were border rievers.  Certainly the name appears to migrate down through Northumberland to the tyne vally into Durham

in the 1881 and 1901 census Cumberland Northumberland and Durham is the mainstay of the name distribution. One Kirsop family moved from Alston to oversee the lead mines in  Arachle in Scotland  and later Joseph Kirsop became a methodist minister who moved around the country,

Latest distribution of the surname makes it most frequent around Hertfordshire and there is details of one family group moving to hertfordshire to find work in the building industry in early 1900s which appears to be the source of this group

I have collected many details of Kirsops some of which are linked others which are unattached at present

I am happy to share any details wich are of interest

Offline Strawberry Mivvy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 06 21:49 BST (UK) »
Ian, I was in contact with you approx 2 years ago now, and wondered if any of the Kirsops you have not yet managed to link into your own tree tie into mine yet?

Earliest confirmed ancestor I have is Joseph, born about 1816 in Shotley, Co Durham.  He married Ann and they had children Elizabeth, Isabella, Henry Wood, Mary Ann, and Margaret.

Would be interested in anything you can share.  Thanks and kind regards

Julie
Greaves - Yorkshire
Cooper - Durham
Appleton - Durham
Atherton - Lancashire
Belton - Durham
Harker - Northumberland
Littler - Lancashire
Rigby - Lancashire
Turnbull - Durham
Milburn - Durham
Robinson - Durham

Offline ianmgrant2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 August 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
yes I have you as the source for this branch
I have a number of Kirsop(p)s in Shotley Bridge but no certain links

There was a marriage of William Kirsopp and mary Bainbridge in 1787
William Kirsopp and Mary Robinson in 1799
Joseph Kirsop and isabel Tait in 1800
Thomas Kirsop and Isabel Robson in 1808 they appear to have had a daughter judith

one of these could be your ancestor but I have no definative link

Offline Tenorsaxman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 October 06 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thomas Kirsop and wife Isabel (nee Robson) lived at 122 Snows Green, Shotley Bridge. They had two daughters, Mary and Judith.  They possibly had two sons, George and Ralph, still to be confirmed. 
Parents of Ralph are listed as a Thomas and Isabel Kirsop, and Ralph's daughter Mary's birthplace is listed as Snows Green, so fairly strong possible family tie here in my opinion.
Ralph also had a son Joseph George Kirsop.
Judith Kirsop (1824-1898...my great, great grandmother) married Thomas Marshall (1822-1853) and had daughters Mary, Judith Jnr and Isabella. Two other daughters, Sarah Jane and Margaret and son Thomas (my great grandfather) were born post 1853, so I have no father(s) name for them.
I do have more information on this (my) Kirsop line, but don't know if it's of any use to you.

Best regards

Offline Strawberry Mivvy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 September 10 04:44 BST (UK) »
hi Tenorsaxman

I went through the Shotley parish records a week or so ago and noted down all the Kirsops I could find, but still haven't managed to definitively tie in my own names with the names in your line.

Perhaps one day...
Greaves - Yorkshire
Cooper - Durham
Appleton - Durham
Atherton - Lancashire
Belton - Durham
Harker - Northumberland
Littler - Lancashire
Rigby - Lancashire