Author Topic: North Pembs - several surnames  (Read 3433 times)

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
North Pembs - several surnames
« on: Wednesday 01 March 06 11:25 GMT (UK) »
JAMES - Henry James born abt 1836 in ?Solva married harriet Griffiths of Dinas - cant find their marriage or his parents...

OWEN  John born abt 1813? Llanstinian - possible mariner - married Margaret GEORGE lived Llanwnda parish.  Her parents Stephen GEORGE and Sophia NICHOLAS - interested in her census says she was born Pontfaen

THOMAS - William b. 1881 his mother - ? Elizabeth died soon after his birth, she was born Llanrhyan? married David THOMAS b 1851 of Llanllawer but where when?

THOMAS  Benjamin  abt 1870 Manorowen....

CORNOCK  David/Dafydd/Dewi and wife Mary/Mari they were living at Pont newydd, Scleddau in early 1800's when their son William was born, but then trail dies!

also researching: THOMAS Llanychaer/Pontfaen,  FRANCIS Manorowen, JAMES Llanwnda and EVANS Dinas Cross.
Any help on the above much appreciated
Many thanks
Mellie

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: North Pembs - several surnames
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 14:35 GMT (UK) »
There are so many mentions of names and places that fit with my family!

My James clan were living at Llanfair Nant Y Gof but my Gx4 Grandfather Griffith James was born Pontfaen. He had 2 wives - and children over a 46 year period c1798-1846.

Griffith's son Lewis James (my Gx3 Grandfather) was born Llanfair (Lewis was a son of Griffith's 2nd wife Charlotte Howell who he md in 1825 - witness at the marriage was a Phoebe Nicholas).

Lewis James married Hannah Griffiths who was born in Dinas Cross/Bwlchmawr in 1828 - father John Griffiths, mother Charlotte Thomas (md 1814).

Witness at Hannah & Lewis' wedding was James James of Llanychaer.

Tracing the James side of the family is difficult as (like you) I cannot find baptism records for the majority of Griffith's children (including Lewis). Family was non-conformist - Tabor, Brynberian Chapels feature in the records I have found.

Not a perfect match but could your Henry James be a brother of my Lewis James? Could your Harriett Griffiths be a sister to my Hannah Griffiths? Is there a connection with the Thomas family via Charlotte Thomas or a connection with the Nicholas family and Griffith James?

Intriguing! If you let me know where your families settled or lived - I can cross ref with my mob and see if I can find any further info.  :)
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 15:56 GMT (UK) »
have we "spoken" before - I am sure someone else (if not you) had mentioned Griffiths of Bwlchmawr.

I believe my Harriet was daughter to Thomas Griffiths of Brynhenllan Dinas, she and Henry farmed there - then their son Stephen and his son Victor (my great uncle)
as for the Thomas' they all settled around about Fishguard/Dinas areas
I was born and bred in Dinas and have been living in Fishguard for the last 5 years.

Of course Dinas is not a huge city! so the chances of our Griffiths' being related is high.... infact to this day even with influx of "outsiders" there are a LOT of my relations - some quite distant -  living in the village....
Mellie

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I think you may have "spoken" to my 3rd cousin June. She & I met for the first time as a result of finding each other researching the same family over the net!

It certainly looks possible we may be connected - hope you don't mind me asking some questions?

When was your Thomas Griffiths/Stephen Griffiths living at Brynhenllan?
When were they born/did they die?
Do you know where they were born?

Birthplace and year of birth for Thomas is of particular interest as I have my John Griffiths birth details and parent names and having the above detail may help prove a connection?

Another thing that puzzles me ....

On the 1851 Census, the data the enumerator recorded for Dinas seems very random? It appears he recorded the information as it "came in" rather than in order of the actual dwellings.

On page 7, I have John Griffiths (50) with wife Charlot (60),  daughter Mary (20) & grand daughter Eliza James (2 - my Gx2 Grandmother) living at "West End Bwlchmawr" (as distinct from just Bwlchmawr).

On page 8, at what looks like a separate household (there is a house called Penffordd in between) is my Gx3 Grandmother Hannah James & son John James (1).  Address given is "West End Bwlchmawr".

On page 10, I find Ann Griffiths (25 Mariner's Wife) and her son John Griffiths also at "West End Bwlchmawr".

My question is this - was West End a single house/dwelling or an "area" of Dinas - were all these people actually living at the same house or were they neighbours, maybe in a row of houses?

As soon as I hear back, I'll look through the info I have and see if we have a match!! ;D

Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 06 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Nigel
I shall dig out old correspondence... to see if it was June...

sorry my ancestor was Stephen Morris James  son of Henry James and Harriet ?Griffiths.  no date of birth for Thomas (Harriet's father) though I think I've a possible year scribbiled somewhere .... need to sort out my papers!
I shall be in touch....
About West End...  there is a property called WestEnd which is on the main road through Dinas. Mr & Mrs Evans live there now, but I dont think it's their family home. I cant remember what the next house is called... But just along the houses are 1, 2 & 3Roseneath - if I was being particular I'd have said West End wasnt in Bwlchmawr - but perhaps the area has changed... i shall ask my Dad if he knows of another WestEnd further down the village..
Regards
Mel

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 March 06 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanls for that - look forward to hearing from you!  :)