Author Topic: navy photo  (Read 6993 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: navy photo
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Mack,

Sorry, been out a long, long time now, but some of the old phraseology sticks with you.

I am pretty certain now that the man we were talking about in the first instance, was a Flag Signalman, or as they were known to us seamen, Bunting Tossers, as mentioned before.
He would have been either a Third or Second class, Signalman, depending on whether he had another star below the badge.
In my day, there was always one on the bridge while at sea and they either sent signals by the use of flags or lamp (Using the Morse code). Mainly lamp by the time I came along, but signal flags at the masthead were still commonly used.
By the time I joined in the late fifties the trade badges had changed somewhat and they have changed again since I left. I was in the Radar branch myself.

A single Anchor (Hook), on the left arm denoted a Leading Hand and were known by the terms Hooky or Killick. (If you were liked that is)  ;D
Crossed Anchors  on the left arm, denoted a Petty Officer.

If I could remember a quarter of the things I used to know, I still wouldn't come close to knowing all the things you have at your finger tips.
Long may you and the others like you continue to help out with all the things you do.
To me you are all STARS.

Thanks again
Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline gig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 18:45 GMT (UK) »
 ;D thank you all for taking the time and effort in lookin in to this
 >The 2nd  photo makes the the first look just a boy, such is war
i surpose and to think he had to deal with mines  where there more than one signaller on each ship
once again thanks to everyone
gig ;D
Day/staffordshire/warwickshire/birmingham
Cottrill/cotterill warwickshire/worcestershire/redditch
williams  foleshill/ warwickshire/derbyshire
fletcher farnsfield/nottinghamshire/derbyshire
kinder / derbyshire
Vardy /derbyshire
ball /derbyshire/nottinghamshire
dooley /derbyshire
littlewood/nottinghamshire/derbyshire/canada
mortimer/ ireland kildare
Hill derbyshire/nottinghamshire

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Gig,

Yes there would have been more than one signaler to a ship. Especially just in case one copped it, so to speak.

Generally speaking there would have been in the region of four, possibly even six, to be able to cover all the watches (Duties) at sea.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline cathyd63

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 May 06 10:57 BST (UK) »
My granny's cousin was a petty officer on the HMS Searcher.   His name was Arthur Kavanagh.   Unfortunately he died in March 1945 aged 24.

I know this is a long shot but did you, by any chance, know him?

Thanks in anticipation

Cathy Daly
Dublin, Ireland

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 May 06 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My Father was sent with the first draught of enlisted men to pick up the searcher from America's west coast (Seatle I think).
I'm afraid I have no details of who my Father knew but I do have a photo of the whole crew at a function in America before the Searcher sailed.
I have attached a couple of photos that may be of interest, from the fuction.

Regards
Aussie Doug
Davenport, Hadfield, Patten, Hassall, Armstrong, Graham, Ward, Fancourt, Corfield.

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 May 06 03:05 BST (UK) »
G'Day ALL!
Those photo's are terrific,what I wouldn't give to have some of the same of my old feller,pity of it is I know there are some from when he was a boy seaman in the 20's;but the family member that has them doesn't seem interested in sharing!
They also brought back happy(?)_memories of the war year's,young men from the Arctic convoy's,just back from Russia,calling in with messages and gift's from Dad.Not one of them would let Mam use her sugar ration for their cup o' tea!
Lord luv 'em.
                    Goggy. ;) ;D