Author Topic: Residence at time of marriage  (Read 2014 times)

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Residence at time of marriage
« on: Friday 01 October 04 15:22 BST (UK) »
Is there any rhyme or reason to where people would list their residence on their marriage certificate?? I know they would often use the same address because of Banns, but sometimes I find addresses where I know these people never even lived.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Residence at time of marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 October 04 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

As you say, it's to do with banns.  Basically if it meant they could be of the same parish, they didn't have to get the banns called elsewhere.  And I think there might have been a fee involved, particularly in the early 20th century.  My granddad apparently never lived at the address he claimed on his marriage.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 04 18:02 BST (UK) »
Mm, I think it was cheaper if both were in the same parish.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kimi

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 October 04 18:10 BST (UK) »
Your'e not alone David, I have several certificates like that with the same street on all of them.  I know for a fact that they did not live there.

Kimi
Ryder- Limehouse/Canning Town.
Couley- Limehouse. 
Hogben- Canning Town/Kent
Richbell- Kent.
Davies - Lancashire
Lester - Berkshire

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 October 04 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hey guys hold on a min .......feel sorry for me!then. Ive been working in the same hotel for twenty six years.It was built in 1894 in bournemouth town centre.Imagine how i felt six months ago when my long awaited marriage cert of my grandmother(who i had no prior knowledge of except name and age)arrived and place of res. at time of marriage was my hotel.i freaked!The family were all (from recent findings) very working class and local to the area so i can only assume at the moment she was working there and living in.  Walking around the basement where the old kitchens were, gives me a completely different feeling now   
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 October 04 20:03 BST (UK) »
I belive these addresses were called "suitcase addresses". If the applicant had a suitcase there it could be legally called his/her abode! I have  an example where the bride lived at No.22 in a street and the groom at No. 23. However, there never was a 23 in that street.
The purpose was to establish residence in that parish so that banns would not have to be called in two separate parishes [but someone has already pointed that out].
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 October 04 21:38 BST (UK) »

I'm with you David - I have the  fellow living at No6 and his intended at No8 but neither of them lived anywhere near the address given on the marriage cert :-\ :-\

Suey

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 October 04 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi David my own marriage certificate in 1965 shows both my husnband and I at an address of a relative  that neither of us lived at because we wanted to marry at a particular church.

Regards
SS
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey