Author Topic: Which Regiment? Help please  (Read 1699 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Which Regiment? Help please
« on: Friday 03 March 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I have found a lot of old photos of my husband's father's family. Unfortunately there are no names or writing of any kind on any of them so it is a case of guess the person. No one is winning with the correct answers so far lol

This is one of the photos that is causing the biggest headaches. It shows a member of Father in Law's family but we do not know who or when.

Can anyone make out the regiment from his cap badge and possibly the year (giveor take a few) that it might have been taken?

Clues are:

The family lived in Northumberland
Hubby's Grandad, Peter James Burns was born in 1876 and had brothers born in 1881, 1882, 1888, 1889, 1891 & 1892 (might not help too much)
His son, Hugh Burns was not born until 1899 so might not be him.

We are unsure whether the horse is to do with his army work or whether it is one from one of the farms that Hubby's Great grandad, Hugh Burns. worked on.

Can anyone out there help in any way?

Thanks

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: Which Regiment? Help please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Carol this is a long shot, it looks like a fusiliers badge therefore it could be northumberland fusiliers and in the medal index cards there are 133 Burns listed.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=last_name%3dburns%7ccorpname%3dnorthumberland%20fusiliers&catid=10&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 06 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev

Thanks for the info

Does it give ages or dates of birth or areas?

That might give me a start

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 06 23:29 GMT (UK) »
No, nothing at all, sorry.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 March 06 23:37 GMT (UK) »

Doesn't show much more when you enlarge the badge - but just in case anyone recognises the shape:
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 March 06 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I see what you mean Kev

I clicked on the link and there is only initials for some which doesn't help. And I don't fancy sending off for all of them and paying £3.50 each lol

Oh well back to the drawing board

Thanks for the help

Carol

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 March 06 02:07 GMT (UK) »
carol dont you dare spend good money on medal cards,give us lot a chance at it first,ime off to do some digging around,kevs right,he is a fusilier,transport section,his lanyard could mean hes a territorial,mack
ps,do you have the names of his brothers ;D
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 March 06 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Okay I give in Manmack

Don't shout at me please  :'(

His brothers are as follows

William Burns b Feb 1881 Twizell, Northumberland
John Aitchison Burns b 30 May 1882 Ford,  d 1970
George Burns b 1888 Ford
Robert Burns b 22 Jun 1889 Ford
James Burns b Sept 1891 Kylo
David Alexander Burns b Dec 1892 Rennington

Peter James Burns was born June 1876, Ford
His main occupation in 1901 was Platelayer with the raiilway. I know the others were mainly farm workers

Thanks in advance for the help

Carol

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 March 06 04:21 GMT (UK) »
hiya carol,i checked around and this man fits the bill
private peter burns
northumberland fusiliers
then he was transferred to the labour corps as private 609851
there were nine soldiers who served in fusiliers regts called peter burns,3 were killed,2were irish,and one was from lancashire,the other man was in the scottish borderers then transferred to the northumberland fusiliers,that left the above man??
sorry for shouting at you,i didnt want you spending your hard earned on medal cards that may not be peters,its strange that their dad called two of his boys james,is there a chance that the census has got his middle name wrong,could he be peter,joseph burns.
i found these two in the MICs
private david,a burns
durham light infantry

private john,a burns
4th battalion
northumberland fusiliers

theres a good chance that they may have been mentioned in the local papers,if all 7 sons served,that would make good news,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.