Author Topic: Birth of British Subject in Canada?  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Birth of British Subject in Canada?
« on: Saturday 02 October 04 07:55 BST (UK) »
My Gt Gt grandfather David MURISON was born somewhere in Canada 1824c to Alexander and Martha Blair MURISON. The family returned to Montrose Scotland by the 1841 census. After Alexander's death in 1848c the his widow and sons emigrated to USA. David died in 1856 at Ringold, California, his wife Amelia Kinnear MURISON and sons returned to Montrose, Scotland.

I have yet to find David's birth and death certificates. Can anyone help, please?

Regards
SS
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of British Subject in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 October 04 09:56 BST (UK) »
My Gt Gt grandfather David MURISON was born somewhere in Canada 1824c to Alexander and Martha Blair MURISON. The family returned to Montrose Scotland by the 1841 census. After Alexander's death in 1848c the his widow and sons emigrated to USA. David died in 1856 at Ringold, California, his wife Amelia Kinnear MURISON and sons returned to Montrose, Scotland.

I have yet to find David's birth and death certificates. Can anyone help, please?

Regards
SS

There was a wonderful index online of British Strays in Canada that used to be online. Details of the index are still online and there is a link to the index holder.
Here are the details from Mary's web page

"British Strays in Canada
(& British Subjects with Canadian Connections)
My references date from the late 1700's to present; the bulk being from the beginning of the 20th century. I may split them into set time periods. They have been collected from newspapers, church registers, goal records, membership lists, monumental inscriptions, immigration records and local history books, just to name a few. Items include such things as obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, funerals, news items, cemetery recordings, membership details and home children. Thousands of British subjects emigrated to Canada and strays are commonly found in all sorts of records. I have collected these over the years as I have been working on other things and no single source can be considered complete. Full details are provided for some items. Others will require further investigation in order to obtain the complete information.

As well as strays, British subjects are often named in sources. This commonly occurs in old marriage references. Although neither the bride nor groom is not noted as a British subject, a parent, if named, can be said to be living somewhere in the UK. These have also been gathered in the hopes that anyone looking for a clue to origins might get lucky. It can also work the other way by providing British researchers with a link to Canada
."

I certainly recommend contacting Mary - here is the URL http://members.shaw.ca/traces/pubs/canpubs.htm
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of British Subject in Canada?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 04 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for that I'll have a look.

Regards
SS
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts