Author Topic: CHANTRY, CHANTREY, CHAUNTRY  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CHANTRY, CHANTREY, CHAUNTRY
« on: Sunday 05 March 06 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I have a very large family tree of people who are all descended from George CHANTRY or CHAUNTRY and his second wife Elizabeth HIGGINBOTHAM or HIGGINS of Halam, Nottinghamshire.  George and Elizabeth were married in 1725 at the Parish church in Newark, Nottinghamshire.  Known locations for descendants of this couple (apart from Nottinghamshire) are Derbyshire, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire, U.S.A., and Australia.  It is hoped that eventually this family tree will become a one-name study.  So all comments, and enquires are welcome.

Offline Stuart153

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHANTRY, CHANTREY, CHAUNTRY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 07 11:20 GMT (UK) »
G'day Miss,

I note on your post that you have in your tree the Chantry's of Australia. I am descendant of what we beleive are the only Chantry's in Australia. My great grandfather was Albert Victor Jesse Chantry, whose parents were Ada and Jesse Chantry of London, and migrated to Australia just prior to WWI. I would love to make the link if possible!

Thanks,

Dave Murphy
Murphy - Dundee
Ball - Manchester
Walton - Hereford
Chantry - London

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.  There are descendants of my CHANTRY family in Australia but not with the name CHANTRY as they are descendants from female members of the family. So again I have to say sorry I don't think that there will be a link between the two families.

Best wishes,

Missprim

Offline Chantreywood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 07 15:34 GMT (UK) »
If we go back far enough I am sure there will be some links.  The CHANTREY name & its variants of CHANTRY, CHAUNTRY, CHANTREE and CHANTERIE are relatively uncommon...there are barely 500 listed in the whole of the 1881 UK census. 

This is one of the reasons I started tracing the paternal side of my tree...my maternal side is ROBERTS of which there are over 150,000 in the same 1881 census and 15,000 in the county of my mother's birth!

Some variants seem to remain in certain counties e.g. CHANTREE to Lincolnshire & Nottinghamshire but some seem to be found all over.  According to the Census Concentration Data I have for London & Middlesex there were in 1841 - 9 Chantreys and 44 Chantrys, in 1851  4 & 52, in 1861  18 & 63, in 1871 18, 61 and 3 Chantrees and in 1891 18 & 50.

So I think it is possible to link the London families back to the origins of the families in either, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire.  I'll see how far back I can make the links for Albert Victor Jesse as it would be good to make some links with Australia.
CHANTREY & variants; GRAY; ROBERTS; GRIFFITHS; WOOD; CLARKE; GAMMON; SUCKLING

Offline chant71

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 March 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Dave,

I'm a Chantrey living downunder...... moved from London 9 years ago.

Family tree is London - Nottimgham / Norfolk

Some say there were only really only 6 different family groups with the Chantrey surname, a few more Chantry's out there but not sure about that.

We did our family tree and it was England - Ireland - France

I live in Melbourne and I've got a son so the name lives on.

Kind regards

David