Author Topic: Donaghadee - Blain and Maxwell  (Read 13690 times)

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Donaghadee - Blain and Maxwell
« on: Sunday 05 March 06 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Mary Maxwell and William Blain married 19 Feb 1812 Donaghadee. The minister was Alexander Goudy.  Does anybody have info on him or on them?

Jenny

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Donaghadee - Blain and Maxwell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 06 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hei Jenny,

You have a date, Mary and Williams names and the name of the minister so I am guessing their marriage might have taken place in the Donaghadee 1st Presbyterian Church. I presume you want to know if they had a family or do you already know that? http://www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/donaghadee1.html

All the Best, Christopher

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

I know quite a few bits about the family that they birthed - including my g-grandfather William Blain - though I don't have all the dates of their children's births. But I don't know the families they came from.

Mary and William were quite possibly both from Wigtownshire - people were crossing the Irish Sea every day - but I don't know that for sure either. So it's the families they came from, and the records that there may be in Donaghadee, that I'd like to have more knowledge of. It's quite likely they had family on either side. First Presbyterian Church sounds probably right - but how did this connect to everyday life for folk, and why did people - others I'm told - go to Donaghadee to get married by this Alexander Goudy? And people went from County Down to get married in PortPatrick!

Jenny

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 09:58 GMT (UK) »
you may already have the info at this link :

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/SCT-WIGTOWNSHIRE/2003-12/1071761247

OTTO

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes - thanks! There's a couple of others I found the googling - seems to have been quite a few people going over the water to get married :)  I think there is family on both sides - are there any Irish records from Down that it's easy to access?

Jenny

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Jenny,

I have a few spare copies of a little book on the history of Donaghadee, now out of print. There is no mention of your family or the Reverend Goudy, but there is quite a bit about the town’s connections with Portpatrick.

If it is of interest to you I could send you a copy with my compliments. If so you can PM me, in confidence, an address to send it to. You will be most welcome.

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Jenny,

I have a few spare copies of a little book on the history of Donaghadee, now out of print. There is no mention of your family or the Reverend Goudy, but there is quite a bit about the town’s connections with Portpatrick.

If it is of interest to you I could send you a copy with my compliments. If so you can PM me, in confidence, an address to send it to. You will be most welcome.

terry

Hello Terry,

I am sure many people from Co. Down, and in particular the North Down area might be interested in the title of that little book, the name of the author, date published and publisher. Although it is out of print it may be available in their local library.

There are several other books about Donaghadee. These may be found in the NI Libraries catalogue http://opac.ni-libraries.net/cgi-bin/nireland.vps.sh
I would like to mention two
1."Historic buildings, groups of buildings, buildings of  architectural importance in Donaghadee and Portpatrick, prepared August 1976-August 1977" by Hugh Dixon with Kenneth Kenmuir in Donaghadee and Jill Kennett in Portpatrick
2. Michael  Mccaughan's book -
"John Moore, a donaghadee poet."  4 of 14. Irish booklore vol.1 no.2 

All this Best,

Christopher

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Christopher,

The book is called "Six Miles from Bangor", remember the song...?

The author is W G Pollock, it was published in 1975/6 by Appletree Press. (Paperback with 80 odd pages, plenty of pictures & stories)

I got a bundle of them when it was published, I was living in the Dee at the time. As I still have a few left that I don't need, if anybody wants one please ask.

Regards
terry

Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)