Author Topic: Missing father ? White  (Read 8842 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing father ? White
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Do you notice that in 1891 the property next door to the TEBBEYs home is described a "Common Lodging House"?

There are LOTS of men lodging there, so the potential for transient fathers is enormous!

I still want to know where Elizabeth is in 1881 though, as she must have met the Daddy somewhere!

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 14:36 GMT (UK) »
A great big thankyou everyone.
This is fantastic.
Slip end is on the birth cert of William G and there is a Slip End in Beds and Herts in the road map of Britain.
If William G was with his grandparents in 1891 the Whites may not have looked after him after  all as you say UKgirl.
I see Ann died between 1861 and 1871 and Charles remarried by 1881 so things do change over 10 years even if its at the same address.
His mother Elizabeth registered the birth but no father on the birth or Williams marriage cert.
Witnesses to Elizabeth's marriage were James and Rose Ellen Mouse, no idea were they fit in yet, probably just Friends.
There were Whites and Tebbey's in straw hat manufacturing so the two families could have been Friends through work as on William Gs marriage cert he was a straw hat packer and his wife (my Gran) was a straw hat finisher so i assume they met at work.   
Cheers for now
EddieW

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I think that a spot of compassion is required here.

According to eddie's post, he uses LDS for 1881.

As such, he would never be able to find them from the info posted so far, and I guess that he would like to look at them with his own eyes.

I would hardly say that anyone "pops up".

So, to help Eddie find them with the LDS site, and to help anyone else struggling to follow this thread save their precious time:

1861- Indexed as Charles Tebby
1871- Indexed as Charles Sebby
1881- Indexed as Charles Libby
1891- Indexed as Charles Lebley

UKgirl

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again!

I think I might have found James MOUSE in 1891.  He is also in the shoe-making trade, so possibly he could be the craftsman to whom (!) Walter was apprenticed?  He has a daughter Rose E. & his wife Sarah A is from Dunstable.   Would you like them transcribed?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

p.s. do you have Walter on earlier censuses?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks  Arranroots i would like a transcription of the 1891 census of Mouse.
I have Walter in the 1881 census age 9, father James, mother Phoebe at Dunstable.

They don't make it easy to find people with the way they spell the names in those days hey UKgirl, but i have Fouchards in Lancashire, just think what they did with that name.

EddieW

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 16:41 GMT (UK) »
They are just possibles, but here they are!

RG12/1272/126/1

6 Church St, Luton, Beds

James MOUSE H M 49 - shoe maker - Sundon
Sarah A W M 47 - Dunstable
Walter W son U 26 - railway clerk - Houghton Regis
Rose E dau U 18 - dressmaker - ditto

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 16:56 GMT (UK) »
FYI James is with his parents in 1861 (Caroline & William) - the lodger is Sarah A HARRISON.  I only bothered with this in case Sarah was related to the SMARTs in some way!

RG9/1010/27/8

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eddie
Yes Slip End definitely exists as I went to school there :D
Still can't find Elizabeth in 1881 but will keep looking.
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone thanks again for the info.
Well the skeletons keep falling out of the cupboard, here's me thinking as Charles and Ann got married in 1855 i had all the children with Charles 1857, George William 1859 and Elizabeth 1862 but up pops Ann 1852 and Jane 1855.
I have Charles parents as Richard Tebby and Louisa Wybrow married 24 Jul 1825 but wasn't sure as it seemed too early as the children's birth dates were David b1832 c1859, Charles b1833 c1859, Richard b1836 c1859, Louisa b1844 c1857, Henry b1847 c1857, James b1850 c1857, John b1852 c1857 from the IGI.
Searching the internet i came across a site Leighton-Linslade Past Time and found an 1841 census which i kept as it was a Tebby.
I think it is the same family, what do you think.
Louisa tebby 30 Straw Plaiter  born out of County
George        14                                 ditto
David           12                                 ditto
Charles        10                                 ditto
Jane             7                                   ditto
Richard         5                                   ditto
john             1mth                      born in county
not sure if with this family (as just after them) or on her own as one / by her name
Charlotte Whybrow  65  Independent  born in County.
There is no mention of husband Richard or of Louisa being a widow.
If it is not too much of an imposition is there a Richard or Louisa around in 1851 census ;D
Cheers
EddieW