Author Topic: 1841 Census Look up Request for Priscilla M. Johnson  (Read 911 times)

Offline bcklaviter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Census Look up Request for Priscilla M. Johnson
« on: Tuesday 07 March 06 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I would be very thankful for a 1841 Census Look up on Priscilla M.  JOHNSON, bn 1830 Amphill, Bedfordshire.  She would be living with Joseph JOHNSON, her father who was a stray hat maker and his 2nd wife (I have no idea what her name would be). Priscilla's mother, Mary nee NEGUS, died in 1834. I know nothing more about her death.   Thank you very much!  bcklaviter

Researching in Bedfordshire:  NEGUS, STANFORD, JONES, COLLINS, CHAMPMAN

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Look up Request for Priscilla M. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Beds 1841 is unindexed, and you don't say which parish you need searching. I've been through Ampthill but there's no sign of them.

If Joseph was a straw hat manufacturer then he is likely to have been based in Luton which is where the industry was centred.

In 1851 in Luton there's a Joseph Johnson straw manufacturer 51 born Hertford, with wife Susannah? (very faint) 44 b Ampthill and son William 9 born Greenwich Kent. If this is the right family then in 1841 he might easily have been in Greenwich.

In 1851 Priscilla was in Huddersfield, so 1841 is a bit of a lottery

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bcklaviter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Look up Request for Priscilla M. Johnson
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 06 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear David:  Once again, thank you for your help!  It is really great to have  information about Joseph Johnson, as well as his new family.  I hope someday that Ancestry.com puts the 1841 Census up..

I know from family letters, that Priscilla moved to Huddersfield as soon as she was old enough to leave..something to do with her step-mother.  In 1854, she married Wm Hattersley, a wool manufacturer.  I might have mentioned before, She was the actor, James Mason's Great Grandmother... and is my first cousin, 4 xs removed!

Would you be needing anything from the States?  I would love to reciprocate!  bcklaviter