Author Topic: Cheshire Parish Records Marriages only pre 1837  (Read 540503 times)

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire Parish Records Marriages only pre 1837
« Reply #1827 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you .

If it is a general index, I am also looking for the marriage of a Joseph Massey to ELLEN, around 1810, in the same geographical area----or is that too vague?

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you .

If it is a general index, I am also looking for the marriage of a Joseph Massey to ELLEN, around 1810, in the same geographical area----or is that too vague?

Hi juno,

Nothing to an Ellen, but this looks interesting:

Joseph MASSEY m Eliz King HEAD, late of Colerne / Colerme 26 Apr 1810 at Rostherne

Any use?

Nothing for a Joseph to an Ellen

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thats the one that fooled me!    :(

I had a whole family based on that entry, because they have a son,  James, born 1812, which is what I need, but their  son died in Hulme Manchester in 1818.

The other- Joseph and Ellen , also have a son it seems born 1812 and baptised in Rostherne, but I cannot find anything more about them.  No marriage or other children at Rostherne. 

Thank you anyway.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean.  If it is the same Elizabeth Hughes she would have been quite old to marry in 1782, 30 years after having her illegitimate child Mary, but I suppose anything is possible.

Thank you also for finding the marriage between John Woodward and Elizabeth Parson in 1759.  Their first child was actually born in 1760, not 1761 as I said previously.  I don't suppose we'll ever know if it is my 4 x g.grandfather's first marriage, but it seems possible that he would have married at age 25 the first time and then found himself a widow with 4 children and re-married Mary Hughes my 4 x g.grandmother.

Lizzie

Lizzie

Offline Pearly22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: Thursday 09 July 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
Very grateful for any help - I have found John Dudley on the 1841 Census in Audlem, Nantwich, Cheshire (parish of Dodcott Cum Wilkesley), b c1779.  His son Thomas and daughter Elizabeth are with him.  John is a widower.  His son, John, moved to London, married and brought up his family there - he was born c1813 so I am looking for his father John's marriage probably pre1813 but I don't know if there were any other children born earlier.
Many thanks
Pearly22

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: Thursday 09 July 09 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
Very grateful for any help - I have found John Dudley on the 1841 Census in Audlem, Nantwich, Cheshire (parish of Dodcott Cum Wilkesley), b c1779.  His son Thomas and daughter Elizabeth are with him.  John is a widower.  His son, John, moved to London, married and brought up his family there - he was born c1813 so I am looking for his father John's marriage probably pre1813 but I don't know if there were any other children born earlier.
Many thanks
Pearly22

Hi Pearly22,

I think that you may find the baptisms of the children at Audlem to John & Martha DUDLEY are here:

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

It also has a possible marriage:

John DUDLEY, bachelor of Audlem m Martha HIGGINS, Sp of Audlem 31 Dec 1804 at Audlem by Banns - witnesses John DUDLEY and William HIGGINS

If you think this is the right family you may be able to find a considerable amount of information as there are a number of Dudley events at Audlem.

The burial of Martha DUDLEY aged 55 of Dodcott cum Wilkesley 2 Jan 1836 is also there, + the burial of John DUDLEY of Dodcott aged 79 4 Sep 1859

Hope this helps,

Jean

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)

Offline Pearly22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: Thursday 09 July 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Jean

Very many thanks for such a prompt and helpful reply.  This has confirmed some facts and given me much more information to work with.

Kind regards

Pearly22 :D

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: Sunday 12 July 09 07:53 BST (UK) »
May I ask for a look up at Lymm please

Looking for information of any Massey marriages at Lymn, Have a James Massey born 1812 to parents married at Lymm

Thank you

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: Sunday 12 July 09 08:27 BST (UK) »
May I ask for a look up at Lymm please

Looking for information of any Massey marriages at Lymn, Have a James Massey born 1812 to parents married at Lymm

Thank you

A transcription of the Lymm parish register is available here:

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

At least if the event you are searching for isn't there you will be able to eliminate Lymm as the parish.

Hope this helps,

Jean