Author Topic: Scott - St Vigeans  (Read 1204 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Scott - St Vigeans
« on: Monday 13 March 06 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Census 1851 Scotland
St Vigeans, Angus 319/00 021/00 010

John Scott Head  33  Teacher Born  St Andrews Fife
Eliza Johnston Wife Mar 26 Livingston, West Lothian
Jane F Scott Daur 2 St Vigeans Forfarshire
David Do     Son  1 mth    Do

I have tried unsuccessfully to find a baptism record for both the above children on the IGI and on ScotlandsPeople. The IGI via HughWallis gives the batch number for St Vigeans 1820-1855, but no sign of my two children. Is it likely that on BOTH SP and the IGI they would be omitted from the index, but on the film or is it more likely they weren't recorded at all, or born elsewhere?

Both died in Australia. The Tombstone for Jane says born Crail, Scotland (which I have also searched), but I thought the parent information when aged 2, would be better than sibling information when aged 63.

Any comments or suggestions very welcome

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Scott - St Vigeans
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 06 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Is it likely that on BOTH SP and the IGI they would be omitted from the index, but on the film or is it more likely they weren't recorded at all, or born elsewhere?

I they are not in the IGI or SP, then the overwhelming probability is that they are not in the C of S records.

They might not have been recorded at all, or (less likely) they might be in the registers of the Roman Catholic, Episcopal, or one of the Free churches.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.