Author Topic: Darnhall and Over  (Read 1758 times)

Offline JohnP

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Darnhall and Over
« on: Monday 04 October 04 20:02 BST (UK) »
Since my request for millers in Cheshire I have discovered Richard Prescott (stated as Parriott) in the Ancestry 1871 census. This confirms that he is the Richard Prescott in Over in the 1881 census. I now need to link him in to the various families around the area. Can anybody please help with references to Prescott in any of the earlier census records

Regards
John Prescott
Prescott in Cheshire and Manchester

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Darnhall and Over
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 October 04 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I have searched through the 1851 Over parishes, there are a few individual Prescotts from outside the area working as ag/labs etc. There is only one family that seems to be associated/born in the district details below

HO107-2166- F 305 Sutton Hall Sutton Parish of Over

George Prescott head 47 farmer 200 acres born Over
Martha       ~      wife   45                              ~    Over
John           ~ nephew  21 un/wed    ag/lab  ~     Darnhall
George Alcock  serv     17                                    unknown
Mary Sandbach  ~      13  house serv                 Ches
Sarah Taylor      ~      38                                     Ches

Looking at the details of the nephew John it seems that George had a brother that has moved away from the area by the time of the 1851 census

I have also looked in the 1828 Pigots directory and found a ref for George Prescott of Over a grocer and dealer in tea. No millers I'm afraid

regards

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline JohnP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 October 04 19:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Peter.

I have been doing more resarch on this topic . Richard moved to Manchester and I traced him back to his marriage when he was a carter. He became a miller sometime between 1855 and 1863.
I now know his father was George a farmer. Unfortunately I have just ruled out the family you found. This George was too youn to be the father.

I have however discovered in 1850 Richard Prescott Stocker lane Farm Darnhall and John Prescott in Wettenhall Hall. It's only when you look on a map do you find that the farms are next to one another. John was still there in 1853. Is he on the census?

Many thanks for your help

Regards

John

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 04 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
    There is a John Prescott in 1841

HO107-96-28-F6 Wetton Hall farm

John Prescott 60 farmer born in county
Catherine       60             ~     ~    ~
Elizabeth        25             ~     ~    ~
George           20             ~     ~    ~

Found Stocker Lane in 1841 and 1851 but no Prescotts

There was in 1851 a George Prescott visting a Shelmerdine family (publicans) in Newton HO107-2166-F340

George Prescott mar 67 farmer born Crowley Green

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline JohnP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 October 04 19:13 BST (UK) »
Peter

Getting warm I think.

This family is recorded in both the 1850 and 1853 Directories. are they on the 1851 census?

Thank you for you excellent work

Regards
John

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 October 04 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi John
            Here are John Prescott and family 1851, the reason I havn't found them before is that the Prescott name for this page is not indexed, its only found with a manual search.

HO107-2170-F 23 Wettonhall Hall

regards

peterbennett

Offline JohnP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 October 04 23:33 BST (UK) »
Peter

Many thanks
The more I study this family, the more confused I get. They were tennant farmers and seemed to change farms within the family quite regularly.

Regards
John