Author Topic: 1841 Census Faversham Kent  (Read 11942 times)

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Faversham Kent
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Michaela and Martin

I have read your posts with great interest and I'm grateful for the information.

I am descended from Charles Stephen and "the native", Eleanor Holberton. Their daughter Emma Jane Monger was born at Portland in 1859. She married Willam Bird Everton of County Tyrone who was a Prison Officer at Portland. When he moved to Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight, they settled there and this was where my mother, Charles Stephen's great-great-grandaughter, was born.

I somehow doubt I can add any more to your specific areas of interest!

Thanks again

David

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Cleaning through my inbox of old Rootschat notifications, I came across these old postings.  Since my original posts, I have now discovered the marriage particulars and surname of Stephen Monger's wife, Amelia.  I thought perhaps some of the descendants would like to update their records with the information. 

Stephen MONGER married Amelia KNOWLES at St. Peter's Church, Canterbury, Kent on 12 March 1816.  The source citation is as follows:

1. Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Parish Registers (U.S.A., Salt Lake City:  Genealogical Society of Utah), St. Peter, Canterbury, Kent, England, FHL film #1786210, item 2, p. 6, No. 18, 12 Mar 1816, Family History Library, 35 North West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah  84150, USA.

"Stephen Monger of Feversham [sic], a bachelor and Amelia Knowles of this parish, a spinster, were married in this Church by Banns this twelfth day of March in the year One thousand eight hundred and sixteen.  By me J. S. Francis, Rector.  This Marriage was solemnized between us Stephen Monger and Amelia Knowles X her mark.  In the presence of George Borain, Sarah Fowler."

So, another new family line to pursue for some of you. 

Regards,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 23:09 GMT (UK) »
That's terrific, I hadn't got that marriage, so thanks Susan.

I'll look forward to pursuing it further!

Regards

David

Offline mcam4419

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 January 13 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan!

Thanks so much for the info on Amelia Knowles. I never had that either.

Cheers,
Michaela

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 March 13 07:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm in the process of adding information to my 'Crimea Coastguards' database using the Merchant Seamans Records and found more information on Stephen and Charles Stephen Monger. Although the title of these records would suggest that they are only for men in the Merchant service, in fact men in the RN and CG's were also issued tickets, so they can be a good source of additional information.

According to their records, dated in the mid 1840's, Stephen was born 5/1/1788, 5' 5'' tall, light complexion, grey hair and eyes, first went to sea as a boy in 1802; Charles was born 1/1/1820, 5' 5'' tall, ruddy complexion, brown hair and grey eyes.

Martin

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the info Martin, much appreciated.

It is truly fascinating to see descriptions of my ancestors. I might add I have nothing in common with them!

Regards

David