Author Topic: Wilson of Larbert  (Read 37648 times)

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson of Larbert
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,
Still struggling along :)
 In 1841 she is Elizabeth Ralston, 25, with William Ralston, 30 and Jean Ralston, 4.

I believe the 1841 Census Elizabeth Ralston, 25 etc is the Elisabeth Ralston I'm looking for. Her spelling of Elisabeth or Elizabeth varies from doc to doc and her age in all Census are whacko (ie very inconsistent) but the children's ages are all fairly consistent.

Not sure about the other Elizabeth, and not sure about who her parents were but not so weird for common names like Elizabeth and James, even Ralston to be duplicated.
Our Elisabeth's death cert doesn't indicate a second marriage at all so presuming that's correct, we're good so far.

What I haven't found is either James Ralston's or Elisabeth Steel's birthdays inspite of having both of their parents' names and a rough idea of birth years.
I also haven't been able to locate a marriage for William Ralston and Janet Young.

Cheers, JT
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
Her spelling of Elisabeth or Elizabeth varies from doc to doc
Don't read anything into that. She may not have had any particular notion of how to spell her name. It was how the person writing it down thought it should be spelled.

her age in all Census are whacko (ie very inconsistent)
Bear in mind that in 1841 adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years so she could have been any age from 25 to 29, assuming her age is accurate of course.

What I haven't found is either James Ralston's or Elisabeth Steel's birthdays inspite of having both of their parents' names and a rough idea of birth years.
I also haven't been able to locate a marriage for William Ralston and Janet Young.
They are probably some of the many events of which the record, if there ever was one, has not survived. If it's not on Scotland's People the chance of a surviving record is small, and your chance of finding it is even smaller.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 22 August 22 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Lenagh,

Just checking that you are still being notified on this topic.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
i received an email notification re this comment. Thanks for that, time, family and other distraction are slowing down my time!
Thanks also to Forfarian for the comment so long ago which i didn't see for some reason. I'll be back on the trail one day (soon) hopefully.  Cheers and thanks
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.