Author Topic: the 25th regiment  (Read 1868 times)

Offline june49

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
the 25th regiment
« on: Saturday 18 March 06 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi I haven't a clue about regiments but have just had certificate confirming what I have thought for a while that my ancestor,Patrick Scully was in the army this certificate dates from 1858 and is from Pembroke Dock, where he was a private now where do I find out more ?
macclesfield droylsdenGorton Eccles shropshire Llanfairwaterdine staffordshire alstonefield and southern Ireland hanley

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: the 25th regiment
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 06 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi June,

In 1861 the 25th's full title was  25th (Kings Own Borderers) Regiment. However when the Cardwell Reform came into being on the 1st May 1881 the regiment took on the title of 25th Foot The York Regiment (Kings Own Borderers) this was short lived as on 1st May 1887 they took on the new title of The Kings Own Scottish Borderers (KOSB's).

To find out more on this regiment go to     www.regiments.org
you will find the history, battle honours etc to all British Regiments on this site.

old rowley

Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline june49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 06 19:46 GMT (UK) »
would I have to get a researcher to find the details of his service record I presume there are no sites where I can obtain this he had a pension on the 1861 census
macclesfield droylsdenGorton Eccles shropshire Llanfairwaterdine staffordshire alstonefield and southern Ireland hanley

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 06 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately The National Archives soldiers discharge to pension (online) index goes up only to 1854 so it would need someone to search for Patrick's discharge papers at The National Archives (not a hard job if you know how the records work) as you know his regiment.

The National Archives have research leaflets which are very comprehensive for war Office records - WO.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=15

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 21:16 GMT (UK) »
And Valda, June49 could do it herself if she wanted to visit Kew couldn't she? but it would probably, all in all (travel expences etc) be cheaper for her to employ a researcher  :D

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline june49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 21:58 GMT (UK) »
thanks will do that as can't go myself because I have not been out of the house for six months as I care for my 86 year old mother-in-law who has alzhiemers I have just managed to get one day a week day care and they are on strike next week. I can get to the library if someone stays with her and thats all 

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi June

It's not without possibility to employ a professional researcher, as Valda says it's not a difficult job to find his records and including photocopies should not set you back more than say about £25.

I just can't find it at the mo, but on The National Archives web site there is a help page for more info about professional researchers.

The only big don't is not to send ANY money until you have what you requested.

All best wishes
Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 07:00 GMT (UK) »
In any magazine like Family Tree which you can get from Menzies/W. H. Smiths you will find military researchers who advertise.
However you might want to try a new message on the armed forces board and see whether anyone else is visiting TNA in the near future and might be able to help you.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline june49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 15:59 GMT (UK) »
thanks for all your help I will a  hire  :-*a researcher  very soon