Author Topic: Master Seaman and his ticket  (Read 1175 times)

Offline decco

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Master Seaman and his ticket
« on: Sunday 19 March 06 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm having real trouble trying to find my g g g great grandfather. I only know that his surname was Hinds. His mother was called Elizabeth born 1785 and his wife was Elizabeth born 1815 Liverpool. On the 51 and 61 census he was at sea then the census after that He obviously had died leaving Elizabeth Widowed.

Can anyone tell me where I can find him registered or where I can find information on a ship's ticket?
Thanks
Dixon, Hambrook, Newings - Kent
Jackson - St.Helens, Milnrow, Oldham - Lanc
Hinds, Mitchinson - Maryport Cumberland
Middleton - Chelsea, Islington and Norfolk
Tucker - Maidstone - Kent
Tuck - Barmin - Maidstone

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Master Seaman and his ticket
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 06 21:32 GMT (UK) »
If youn have a look at http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKMasters.html it may give some pointers to finding the information you seek.

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 April 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry to butt in, I was browsing the Occupations Interest when this post caught my eye.
As I have been researching my Grandmothers side of the family, the Master Seaman was of interest, as both my G Grandfather and GG Grandfather were both Captains of coastal vessels or at least so I was told by my Nan.
MY GG Grandfather was James Patten b1834 in Scotland? he married a Louisa Ward in Runcorn cir1863. I am told he went down with his Ship a coastal schooner the ALMA off Angelsey around 1879/81.
My G Grandfather John Patten b1864 in Runcorn was a Captain of a Steam Boat according to the 1901 census (I have attached a picture),
He married Mary Graham Armstrong in 1885 she was born somewhere in Scotland in 1866.
Living now in Australia makes it hard to find or get infirmation about both of my Grandfathers, but when I noticed the name Patton on your family names list, Falkyrn. I thought I would butt in and see if there was a connection.
Regards
Aussie Doug.
Davenport, Hadfield, Patten, Hassall, Armstrong, Graham, Ward, Fancourt, Corfield.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 06 09:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't think there is a connection my Pattons came from Ireland and were farmers although my father later spent the greater part of his life at sea.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 April 06 09:40 BST (UK) »
There are merchant seaman' records at The National Archives but first you really need to know the man's name you are searching for. As all his children seem to have been born after civil registration any of their birth certificates will give you his name and also their mother's maiden name. With that information if the marriage of Frances and her husband took place after civil registration you shoud be able to find their marriage and further details of their fathers and hopefully the age of Frances' husband.
On the 1851 census Thomas Hinds (Hindes/Hind - the fact the surname is spelt differently doesn't help) is staying with the family and is possibly a brother-in-law to Frances.
Merchant seaman's records aren't the easiest to research so you need to know as much as possible about the man you are interested in from standard records first.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk