Author Topic: Help needed! Stewart/Reid/Whyte  (Read 25170 times)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed! Stewart/Reid/Whyte
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill
A bit of a long shot but I'm wondering if you've come across a Matilda Stewart born about 1810 ?

She married Robert Townsley, sorry no marriage date for them, but the earliest child I have for them (Robert) was born c1829, Marybole, Ayr.

They were travellers too so could have been born/married anywhere!!  :-[
regards Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia

Cant say I have come across them - Stewarts and Townsleys are prolific names. However I have come across this site on the Townsleys which is quite comprehensive- ://homepages.tesco.net/~townsleyb/TownsFH/html/index.htm

As I am currently doing a one-name on the KELBIEs my interest outside that stem is temporarily on hold - at the outside I would think for at least a year. However, that doesnt mean that they are forgotten and I will be able to do some look-ups for those other branches each time I go across to Edinburgh.

From what I can see my Townsley connections came up to Scotland about the turn of the 18th century - in 1853 I have them in Northumberland and they dont appear on the Scottish censuses until 1901. The English Townsleys - from what I can see - often used the same names in each generation, so it becomes difficult to pin them down. That site might throw out some light for you.

Happy Hunting

Bill

Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 July 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway Bill
I do know of this website and it has been useful at times
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cookie3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
hi davy stewart here you sent me a message and i tried to answer it but got confused about do it i feel a fool as i havnt used this site much so i searched for your name and replied to this one so im very sorry i submited a post by mistake, i think it was the one i was sent, anyway i am very thankful for your reply i am trying to research 3 trees at the moment the stewarts my fathers side,,the millers my mothers side,, and the bucklands my wifes side but i dont seem to be geting anywhere with the stewarts, the names in the message you sent me are very very similar to mine but i dont think its them, if you could send me an email address please, i could send you some certificates and you would understand better and they may even help you out as well, my email is (*) would  be thankful if you could have a look at them,,thanks,,davy stewart, darlington co durham ps i know my grt grandfather hugh stewart  is burried in the grounds of dr greys hospital,, its in elgin i think

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline kez_s

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry not quite sure who your message is for? I don't recall sending you an email!
Stewart- Scotland
Ayres - Wiltshire
Southard - Wiltshire, Somerset & Wales
Duggan- Ireland, London & Lincolnshire
Kelbie - Scotland
Collins - London
Minnett - Wales & Somerset
Parsons - Somerset & Lincolnshire
Woodward - Somerset
Strong - Wiltshire
Wheeler - Hampshire & Somerset
Whyte - Scotland
Densem - Somerset
Baker - Somerset
Kettle - Lincolnshire
Simmons - Lincolnshire
Ruddick - Somerset & Wales

Offline McCann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 August 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
I just read your posts and I too have some Reids and a Whyte and they seem to be travellers themselves.  I have:

gg grandparents - John Cook married Elizabeth Reid (b.1842)(She had a brother James, among many others)
ggg grandparents:  Elizabeth's parents were David Reid (b. 1811 in Montrose) and Mary Bain
gggg grandparents:  David's parents were David Reid (b.?) and Betsy Knowly.
                                  Mary's parents were James Bain and Janet Whyte.
Births, deaths and marriages are all from miscellaneous counties - Angus, Midlothian, fife.

I'll let you know if I come across any of your gang.
McCann

Offline samya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 July 10 02:27 BST (UK) »

Dear Kez_s I came across this site by accident and your information was on the site - first of all
Alexander MacEwan Stewart was my uncle because my father Allan was his older brother.  My father
was born in 1930 near Oyne.  My grandfather James Stewart or bigMaHungry as he was known was
born in Forgue, Huntly.  I do not know where my grannie Elsie was born.  Your grandfather Alexander - my
uncle, also had a sister Helen and a sister Elizabeth who my sister is named after.  I met your granny
Isabella Kelbie who died a couple of years ago and is buried in Huntly, she was a very nice woman and
very small.  But as far as my auntie Agnes is concerned, Bella was never married to Alex but stayed with
him and had family to him.  James my grandfather was the son of Frances Stewart.  I have a family tree
which I can give you a copy of if you would like.  My mothers people were from Perthshire and were also Stewarts and Reids.  I hope you find this helpful.
Samya

Offline samya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 July 10 02:34 BST (UK) »

Dear Kez_s I came across this site by accident and your information was on the site - first of all
Alexander MacEwan Stewart was my uncle because my father Allan was his older brother.  My father
was born in 1930 near Oyne.  My grandfather James Stewart or bigMaHungry as he was known was
born in Forgue, Huntly.  I do not know where my grannie Elsie was born.  Your grandfather Alexander - my
uncle, also had a sister Helen and a sister Elizabeth who my sister is named after.  I met your granny
Isabella Kelbie who died a couple of years ago and is buried in Huntly, she was a very nice woman and
very small.  But as far as my auntie Agnes is concerned, Bella was never married to Alex but stayed with
him and had family to him.  James my grandfather was the son of Frances Stewart.  I have a family tree
which I can give you a copy of if you would like.  My mothers people were from Perthshire and were also Stewarts and Reids.  I hope you find this helpful.
Samya

Offline samya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 July 10 03:12 BST (UK) »

i have sent three posts now in order to be able to send you an email.  Sorry for the very reptitive post
but not allowed to send pm unless 3 posts are up.

Anyway it does look as though it has been a long time since you have been on this site so you may
not get this email message I send you but hope you do.
Samya