Author Topic: Kirchner in Limerick  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
Kirchner in Limerick
« on: Tuesday 21 March 06 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information relating to Louisa Kirchner who was born in Limerick about 1829 and moved to South Wales sometime between 1841 and 1848. It's possible that she had a brother Benjamin who was born about 1821.
Any evidence of the Kirchner name in Limerick would be helpful.

Regards,
Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kirchner in Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 06 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
unusual name for Ireland- IGI has some entries for Limerick -baptisms of children to Simon and Mary Kirchner - you can check these if you haven't already done that. These are extracted from church records so there is a 'proof' there. There are other Kirchner entries but these are provided by members of the church so there is an element of doubt with those.
This site: http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/csi/csi_main.cfm  lists a Benjamin Simon (all the boys have Simon as a second name) for 1818.
I don't know if such early records would give much information but it might be worth seeing if you could order the Church records through a local LDS centre.
This site http://www.familia.org.uk/services/eire/limerick_city.html has the details of Limerick city library - maybe they could help if you contacted them. 'Googling' for the library gives an email address.
good luck
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 March 06 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,
Louisa Kirchner was the only Louisa on the marriage page with Samuel Parker and in the census Louisa is shown as born in Limerick. I am now satisfied that I've got the right surname because I've also found on FreeBMD that 6 out of 9 names are in bold and include Samuel and Louisa - otherwise there might have been a mystery Louisa not listed.
So the quest is on for her parents! Simon and Mary are clearly in the frame. I've had a look at the LDS site and have noted the two entries relating to a Kirchner b.Ireland 1819 d.Australia 1943!!!
It's clearly a name of German origin though the mother may well be Irish. I had been teasing my wife, who regards herself as Welsh, by wishing her the 'top of the morning' but it would seem I now need to find a suitable German expression!

Regards,
Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 March 06 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,
I checked the Trade Directories between 1769 - 1850 for Kirchner in Limerick, but there weren't any their (only a minority of the population mainly protestant were recorded them though)

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 March 06 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sharon,
The male Kirchners were most likely foreign nationals. Is there any way of tracing German immigration?
Phil

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 March 06 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
I have tried searching for German Immigration to Ireland with little success. I wonder if you emailed the library there - there may be some documentation/ explanations.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 06 11:37 BST (UK) »
I have e-mailed the library and they clearly went to a lot of trouble to help, but could find no trace of the name and couldn't suggest a way forward.
Were there any Britsh regiments quartered in the area at that time? ( I'm clutching at straws here!)

Phil

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 March 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, they would have mostly been British regiments posted in Limerick during the period your looking for, I don't know which ones they were. Ask in the army board they might be able to help you.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 April 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sharon,

No joy yet on the army board. However I have received news of a wonderfully fancifull piece of family folklore from an aged relative that Louisa Kirchner was related to Lord Kitchener!
 They did both come from south-west Ireland! Is it possible that there has been a transcription error at some point?
Was Lord Kitchener's father in the area around 1829? Somehow I doubt it! It seems more likely that one of the ancestors kissed the Blarney stone!

Regards,
Phil