Author Topic: WARGENT surname...need help  (Read 15258 times)

Offline crossl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WARGENT surname...need help
« on: Wednesday 22 March 06 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all,
   researching a WILLIAM WARGENT who married a MARTHA SAUNDERS on Oct. 21, 1751. Have traced the family all the way to him but unable to get by him. I need his birthdate, parents names.  His descendants are in the LEDBURY,HEREFORESHIRE area. His wife MARTHA SAUNDERS was born in 1720 in BUCKINGHAMSHIRE and their children were born in LEDBURY but I don't know where he's from.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank You

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: WARGENT surname...need help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hiya Crossl

You didn't say when you think William was born

I have a John Wargent b 1786 Ledbury who married an Elizabeth Bowkett in my tree. His parents were William and Elizabeth

If you do a search under the name Wargent on Familysearch the name Wargent only seems to cover Hereford, London, Worcester, Surrey, Gloucester and one in Berkshire. I know the IGI isn't complete but it might narrow your search down a little

Logically I'd say there was a good chance he was born in Herefordshire and brough his new bride back there to live

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Jill Shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 September 07 16:44 BST (UK) »
I have more recent Wargents in my family tree, based in Lugwardine Hereford, but on Genes Reunited there is one Hannah Wargent listed born 1715 in Yarkhill Herefordshire.

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 October 07 09:27 BST (UK) »
Thre is a John Wargent who marries Ann Poole in Ledbury in 1727.
Can you trace their children at all to see if this is your family, or just a relative ?

Offline Jill Shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 October 07 10:24 BST (UK) »
I'll try when I have time. At the moment all I know is that my great-grandmother was Fanny Wargent (known as Huff), who was the illegitimate daughter of Hannah Wargent born c1834 in Lugwardine. Hannah later married Charles Huff  of the All Saints parish in Hereford.

I have had some previous contacts re the Wargent family via Genes Reunited. I haven't got time to look just now, but will try to remember to do so when I have time. Feel free to remind me if you haven't heard within a couple of weeks.

Offline janetteawatkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 September 08 18:04 BST (UK) »
I have more recent Wargents in my family tree, based in Lugwardine Hereford, but on Genes Reunited there is one Hannah Wargent listed born 1715 in Yarkhill Herefordshire.
Sorry never been on this site before!!!! Don't know if what I'm doing is right!!! I read your message about Hannah Wargent, she was my 2x Great grandmother who married Charles Huff. Can I help you any more?

Offline Jill Shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 September 08 09:48 BST (UK) »
The contact who originally gave me information about Charles and Hannah believes that Charles was in fact the father of Fanny, my great-grandmother. If that is true, then we share great-great grandparents. I think Charles was a butcher, possibly in Fownhope.

I would be interested in any further information you can pass on. I only know something of Fanny's later history from family stories. She married Thomas Slade of Fownhope, who became a bricklayer and they left the Hereford area.
Jill

Offline janetteawatkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 September 08 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,
I was told Fanny was Charles' daughter by my aunty. My Great grandmother was Fanny's sister Elizabeth. I haven't followed the children's lines that far, I only add things that pop up as I'm working on the family. What you have so far is right. A lot of info is hard to find because WARGENT is misspelt in so many different ways, it took me ages to find what I have on them.
I wish I could talk to you, as I have so much info on the Huffs and Wargent's like. Do you know that Charles' mum ran a pub called the Yew Tree Inn? When she died he took it over and it's still there. Hannah died 3rd January 1875 aged 43 and is buried at the front of St Peters Church Lugwardine with her sister Eliza. The grave is marked and can still be read clearly. Charles went on to Marry a Selina Link nee Hopson. Charles was at this time was bringing my Granddad Bernard Chambers up, as Elizabeth and her husband George Chambers, decided to take all their children except my grandad with them when they left Hereford and moved to London. Selina didn't get on with my granddad as he grew up. He ended up walking out and walked to London to find his mother, only to be rejected again. Charles died on 3rd January 1900 aged 67. LOOK AT THE DATES OF DEATH!!!! I think Hannah was watching what was going on and said "Charlie me old lover your getting away from that wicked cow and coming back to me!" I know, call me an old romantic ! But I do think that was strange. Selina won in the end though she is buried with Charles in Mordiford (I have forgotten the name of the church.) Again the grave is marked and readable.
I have info on Charles' parents William and Elizabeth, but then I'm stuck on Williams parents. The Wargents info is that I go back to 7x Great.
All my info is on Ancestry.com and I'm willing to share it with you, if this helps.
Just ask me what you want to know.
Jan

Offline Jill Shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 September 08 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. I do have an Ancestry password but have never used it to access someone else's information. I'll have to investigate.

I can tell you something about Fanny's life. The family story I was told is that Thomas Slade was disowned by his family for getting the maid pregnant. By checking censuses, and gaining information from distant Slade contacts, it seems that the couple did conceive a child out of wedlock but married and went on to have several more children.

The Slades had been fairly well-to-do farmers in Fownhope, but fell on hard times due to mismanagement by Thomas's father, Henry. They moved to a smaller farm house at some stage and Henry's children had to take up trades,Thomas becoming a journeyman bricklayer.  (Some branches of the family are still successful in that line of work.)

One of my cousins told me that our Grandad, Tom Slade, was born on the kitchen table at Bowen's Farm, Fownhope. It looks as though  Thomas and Fanny, with 2 small daughters already, had gone back home looking for support and forgiveness.  They didn't get much, by the look of it. My cousin says that they were allowed to stay until Fanny had recovered from the birth and then sent on their way.

No doubt there's more to the story than that, but these are the fragments that have filtered down. (I'm the 19th of 20 grandchildren of Tom Slade, and some of my older picked up a lot more family information in their childhoods than I did.)Tom died when I was small.

Bowens is now a country house hotel/guest house. on the main street of the village. I haven't stayed there but have seen it - quite tarted up now- and tried to imagine how poor Fanny felt giving birth on the kitchen table. My own memories of the Slades are full of warmth; children everywhere, always loved, never neglected, always room for one more. The story of Grandad's birth doesn't seem to fit, somehow, but I suppose families change from one generation to the next.

Regards whatever I want to know, I'm interested in female surnames (why should they be forgotten?) jobs, religion and politics, if any.

Jill