Author Topic: HTML help please ..........  (Read 2689 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
HTML help please ..........
« on: Sunday 26 March 06 15:08 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know how I can get rid of the "<>" near the top of this page ....
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gypsy/ww1mena.html

Here is the HTML for the page until the beginning of Soldier ALLEN ........

<html><head><title>ww1</title>
<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta content="Microsoft FrontPage Express 2.0" name=GENERATOR></head><body bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><h1 align="center">WW1 FOLKESTONE SOLDIERS SAILORS AIRMEN</h1><table border="1"><tbody><tr><td valign="bottom" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><font face="Arial" size="4"><b>Surname</b></font></td><td valign="bottom" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><font face="Arial" size="4"><b>Forename</b></font></td><td valign="bottom" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><font face="Arial" size="4"><b>Rank</b></font></td><td valign="bottom" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><font face="Arial" size="4"><b>Regiment</b></font></td><td valign="bottom" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><font face="Arial" size="4"><b>Death</b></font></td><td valign="bottom" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><font face="Arial" size="4"><b>Details</b></font></td><td valign="bottom" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><font face="Arial" size="4"><b>Source</b></font></td></tr><tr><td valign="bottom" align="right" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> </td><td valign="bottom" align="right" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> </td><td valign="bottom" align="right" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> </td><td valign="bottom" align="right" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> </td><td valign="bottom" align="right" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> </td><td valign="bottom" align="right" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> </td><td valign="bottom" align="right" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> </td></tr><tr><td valign="bottom" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><font face="Arial">ALLEN

I've tried deleting via HTML WYSIWYG-Edit on Rootsweb but it's still there :(

Any help appreciated

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HTML help please ..........
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

judging from the look of the table further down the page, I'm guessing that the extra brackets are there because the table construction is false.

I've just downloaded the text from your website, so I can see the complete page ...

... see you soon.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
OK found it !!

search for: FH Folkestone Herald

on that line you will see

<p><><p /><p> </p></></p></tbody></table><p /><p>FH Folkestone Herald</p><p /><p>  etc, etc

look at the beginning of the line: <p><><p /><p> and there's your culprit !!

YOu can probably lose the whole section: <p><><p /> unless you meant to add something there, in which case it should read <p>your text</p>

another tip: if you want the table to look more unified, then enter a blank in all the empty cells (&nbsp;)

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 06 15:52 BST (UK) »
It looks like finding the dropped stitch in knitting!!

;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 06 15:53 BST (UK) »
Doesn't it just !!  But easier to repair, thankfully  ;D

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 March 06 15:59 BST (UK) »
ps.

just I thought:

I rearranged the page in my editor to find the problem easier, so it may not be at the beginning of the line

just load the page in an editor and search for <> directly, that will find it !!

Bob

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 March 06 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Bob ;D ;D

I removed the offending digits and hey presto ;D

That will teach me for chopping down a table to use as a template for a new one rather than create afresh if you don't know what you're doing :-[  The link to the home page at the bottom ended up at the top and I was able to move that ok but it was that other bit.

if you want the table to look more unified, then enter a blank in all the empty cells (&nbsp;)

I'll try and remember to do that so as it looks a bit prettier till I've finished them all (started 4 years ago and just getting round to doing a bit more ;D)but what does the (&nbsp;) mean?

Casalguidi
 :)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 March 06 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

That will teach me for chopping down a table to use as a template for a new one

Isn't that what everybody does ???  ;D ;D

It's certainly what I do; in fact, I copied a table just recently (for my website) with census data and then re-entered all the new names, just that I forgot to change the surname from Benson to Hardy !!!  Oooops  :-[ :-[
Heaven knows what all my visitors made of it  ;D

&nbsp; is a HMTL character (or entity) for a non breakable space.  Spaces get ignored in HTML so if you want to be sure, or you want a defined number of spaces, then use &nbsp; (don't forget the ; !)

Bob

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 March 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
Oh ............... think I'll stick to the easy way of "editing" what you see/the end product ;D

Casalguidi :)