Author Topic: McEwan. Comrie perth  (Read 4307 times)

Offline cookson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
McEwan. Comrie perth
« on: Monday 27 March 06 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, Does anyone here in roots have any McEwan rellies, just found my grt grt grt grandparents, in Comrie Perthshire, William Drummond and Margaret Drummond nee McEwan, came to England, Hull, my grt grt grandafather Richard Drummond was born in Hull , Yorkshire in 1827  moved to Scarborough Yorkshire, where ny grt grandmother, Mary Drummond was born. :)
Kipling, Hull. Egan, Cork, Deptford, Southwark. Drummond, Perthshire, Scarborough. Rayner, Hull. Paterson, Lanarkshire. McShane, Armagh, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire. McNiven, Argylre. McEwen, Perthshire. Harbison, Armargh. Lavery, Armargh. Anderson, Ayrshire. Rae, Ayrshire. Graham, Dunbarton.

Offline kirkys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McEwan. Comrie perth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 20 21:16 GMT (UK) »
William Drummond was born in 1797 Comrie Perthshire Scotland,he married Hannah Rayner she was born in Hull about 1800 ,  William Drummond born 1766 Comrie Perthshire and Margaret Mcewan born abt 1760 they married on 14th August 1796 in comrie Perthshire Scotland .my great grandad was Thomas Drummond ,Thomas was living In Town street Falsgrave Scarborough in 1861 Richard Drummond lived next door to him and was possibly his brother Richard was aged 36 on the 1861 censor.and in 1871 Thomas was living at 38 Duncombe street Grimsby.

Offline RobertR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thomas Sawdon Drummond was the sixth of eight (that we know of) children born to William Drummond and Hannah Rayner. I believe the address was 'Tower' Street, not 'Town'.

Need to be careful going further back with William.  Whilst the censuses consistently declare ages that match a 1795 birth to William Drummond+Margaret McEwan, I believe their William was a joiner/wright who never left Comrie and died and was buried there in 1858.

There was a William born to William Drummond and ANN McEwan in 1797, but I haven't managed to trace that line as of yet.  Just picking up the research threads again after a long break.

Regards
Bob

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
Need to be careful going further back with William.  Whilst the censuses consistently declare ages that match a 1795 birth to William Drummond+Margaret McEwan, I believe their William was a joiner/wright who never left Comrie and died and was buried there in 1858.
You should be able to settle that by getting the death certificate from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - it will name both of William Drummond's parents. The index does say that his mother's maiden surname was McEwen.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RobertR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 20 23:23 BST (UK) »
Yep, already done that.

William died in Comrie on March 16th 1858, aged 62. Parents William, labourer (deceased) and Margaret McEwan (or Drummond).

The death was reported by one Duncan Drummond (son) on the 23rd. Nasty death - haemorrhegia for 7 weeks.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 April 20 23:40 BST (UK) »
1851 Census in Comrie: William Drummond, 54; wife Janet Stalker, 58; children Margaret, 28; William, 22; Duncan, 15, all born in Comrie.

1851 Census in Scarborough: William Drummond, 56, born Scotland; wife Hannah Drummond, 51; children Richard, 23; William, 19; John, 17; Thomas, 12; Sarah, 6, all born in Hull.

So the William Drummond who went to Hull and married Hannah Rayner cannot have been the son of William Drummond and Margaret McEwan.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RobertR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 April 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Correct.
 :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 11:24 BST (UK) »
So cookson and kirkys have been climbing the wrong branch of their tree (we've all done that :) ) so the question now is which branch they need to look at next.

I see that Hannah Drummond, widow, 61, is a lodger in Scarborough in 1861. Is it reasonable to suppose that William Drummond, husband of Hannah Rayner, is the one who died in Hull in 1860 aged 65?

In 1841 he gave his age as 45. Ages in 1841 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so he could have been any age from 45 to 49, so if his age is accurate he was born between 8 June 1791 and 7 June 1796.

In 1851 he said he was 56, so if his age is accurate he was born between 31 March 1794 and 30 March 1795. These dates are consistent.

In the death indexes he is said to have been 65, which, if accurate, suggests that he was born in 1794 or 1795. Again, these dates are consistent with the census.

So you should be looking for a William Drummond born in 1794 or 1795.

There are three in the Scottish church records
- son of William Drummond and Christian Bell, baptised 16 March 1794, Whitekirk and Tyninghame
- son of John D and Elizabeth Galbreath, baptised in New Monkland on 28 September 1794
- son of William D and Margaret MacEwan, who we know from his death certificate is not the right one.

Using the census transcriptions at FindMyPast, neither of the other two can be pinned down with certainty.

Unfortunately it is always possible that your William Drummond is one of those whose baptism record (if it ever existed) has not survived.

For example in 1851 there is a 57-year-old William Drummond in Sunderland, born Scotland, but in 1871 he gives his birthplace as Scotland, Lockerby. There is no record of the baptism of a William Drummond in Dryfesdale, the parish in which Lockerbie is situated.

What were the names of the children of William Drummond and Hannah Rayner, in order of date of birth? And what were the names of Hannah's parents?

Offline cookson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 April 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

Re: Drummonds Tree.

Thanks for your input into my Drummond Tree, but it would appear you have moved the goalpost's somewhat, as my research into my great grandmother MARY ELIZABETH DRUMMOND shows she was born 1855 in SCARBOROUGH, to RICHARD RAYNER JAMES DRUMMOND and ELIZABETH BLAND.

Having recently done my DNA, along with my brother, and cousin,  whereby i have matches with my paternal side, mostly which is where the DRUMMONDS fit in.

However , I am almost sure i have been looking in the right direction but i will check again and have a further search and see what our DNA results throw up.

Regards
Janice.
Kipling, Hull. Egan, Cork, Deptford, Southwark. Drummond, Perthshire, Scarborough. Rayner, Hull. Paterson, Lanarkshire. McShane, Armagh, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire. McNiven, Argylre. McEwen, Perthshire. Harbison, Armargh. Lavery, Armargh. Anderson, Ayrshire. Rae, Ayrshire. Graham, Dunbarton.