Author Topic: Before '1837' Garsden/Heap - Lower Darwen/Blackburn  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Before '1837' Garsden/Heap - Lower Darwen/Blackburn
« on: Friday 08 October 04 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching the surnames of Garsden and Heap and wonder if anyone has information on these two families before the advent of registration in 1837?

John Garsden was born c.1778 in Yate & Pickup Bank, Darwen, Nr Blackburn.  He married Ellen (maiden name and marriage date unknown).  Ellen was born c.1781.

John and Ellen's first daughter, Alice Garsden, born 1811 in Lower Darwen, buried 1871 in Belthorn Chapel.   She married Edmund Heap, son of John and Ellen Heap, born Apr 1805 in New Hall Head, christened Apr 1805 in Lower Chapel Darwen, buried May 188 in Belthorn Chapel.  Alice and Edmund married in 1826 at St Mary's Church Blackburn.

Their second daughter, Ellen Garsden, was born in 1816. She married Richard Heap (brother of Edmund Heap - above), widower, born Jan 1807 in New Hall Head and christened Mar 1807 in Lower Chapel Darwen.  Ellen and Richard  married in May 1833 at St Mary's Church Blackburn.

For the Garsden family I am trying to find the parents of John Garsden born c.1778, the date of his marriage to Ellen, also the surname of Ellen born c.1781, together with Ellen's parents.

The grandparents of Edmund and John Heap were Nathan Heap and Mary Duerden (Durden) who married in Oct 1750 at St Mary's Church Blackburn.  No other details are known about Nathan and Mary.  I am trying to find details such as their respective parents, siblings, dates of birth.

I know this is a tall order to come up with any of this missing detail.  However, someone, somewhere, might just be researching these families.  Dare I keep my fingers crossed?

Thank you

Gerry

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re: Before '1837' Garsden/Heap - Lower Darwen/Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 04 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Gerry,

I have just added some links to Lancashire Burials, here I found a number of Garsden buried I think in Blackburn. As Garsden in a Lancashire name you must be able to connect to most of the them. (the 1881 census shows about 80 all living in Lancashire.)

If you have a quick look maybe this may help or at least be interesting to find.

Are you able to travel to Blackburn ?

RootsChat :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 October 04 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschat

Many thanks for your message.    I already have some detail on the Garsden family but like many jigsaw puzzles there are missing pieces.   You mention me having a look at this link to Lancashire Burials - how do I do this?

Travelling to Blackburn is not a problem as I only live 10 miles away.

Look forward to your reply

Regards
Gerry

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 04 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi RootsChat

Further to my reply of yesterday.   My interest in the Garsden family is now the ancestors of John Garsden born c.1778 in Yate & Pickup Bank who married Ellen (maiden name unknown).   Ellen was born c.1781.  I realise any additional detail from so long ago will be difficult to find.

Their two daughters, Alice and Ellen, married two brothers (Edmund and Richard)of the Heap family.  I have a lot of detail of the descendants from both these  marriages and at present I'm not researching other members of the Garsden family.

I have some detail of the parents of Edmund and Richard Heap and their parents appear to be  Nathan Heap who married Mary Duerden (or Durden) in Oct 1750.   Again, difficult to trace their ancestors, but one never knows, someone else might just be researching these names.

Regards

Gerry

Regards

Gerry

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Here is a link to the Burial links for Lancashire

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=10215.0

If you scroll down you will see Burnley.

It is great news that you are not too far away as it is worth you going having a browse at the local Family History libraries. I have had some real "finds" by trying to locate old transcribed parish records which are not always available but it it is a very old church then there is a bigger chance of something being available.

I found one for Macclesfield Cheshire Lurking in Salford Library so sometimes you have to do a bit of a browse  !

Best of Luck

Sarah ;)

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 November 04 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Many thanks for the burial link, it was the Blackburn link, not Burnley but they are both on the same page.  I found a number under 'Garsaden' and 'Heap' and I will look into this in more detail.

Much appreciate all the help I get from RootChat.

Gerry