Author Topic: 1837online.com  (Read 4326 times)

Offline nickyhug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1837online.com
« on: Friday 08 October 04 18:31 BST (UK) »
Have just had a quick look at the new revised 1837online site.  thought I would check out people I know without actually viewing and paying, saw list of names, but none of my relatives, has my family been wiped off the face of the earth, do I no longer exist OR am I completely thick and am looking at all wrong?
Somebody please help
nickyhug ???
Edwards - Wales & London, Torrance - Hampshire, Stokes - Devon, Waller - London, Andrews - New Zealand

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: 1837online.com
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 04 18:47 BST (UK) »
I have had problems too with the 1837 site missing family members but have had some successes too,,  and I have paid for searchs too....
Best wishes
Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 04 18:54 BST (UK) »
Nicky. Not sure how you're managing to look up specific names without making a payment.  The search facility only allows me to find the right page on which the chosen name would fall alphabetically.  It doesn't show the specific name and it doesn't even guarantee the name will be there.  So for example if I search for the name TYMON it will show every sheet where TYMON would appear (if there are any that quarter).  The name range will be something like TYLER, George - UNWIN, Lydia .  But there may not be any TYMONS on it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nickyhug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 04 08:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I was having a completely dozey moment!  Now I realise that the names listed are not all the names on that page.  If I had a brain I'd be dangerous!!
nickyhug
Edwards - Wales & London, Torrance - Hampshire, Stokes - Devon, Waller - London, Andrews - New Zealand

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 04 17:50 BST (UK) »
Nicky.  Don't worry - I know the feeling!

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 October 04 17:51 BST (UK) »
A recent improvement to the site is the facility to look up full names rather than the first three letters of surname (as previously).  This means that you can narrow down your interest to less sheets and save the cost of looking at irrelevant pages.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 October 04 20:14 BST (UK) »
Nickyhug (what a lovely name)

Nicky ;)
Alternatively you can try using freebmd, when you go onto the site you press search and the next page is seen where you normally input the name you are researching!
look above those boxes and you will see VIEW IMAGES which is a series of 4 dropdown boxes = 1/ B,M or D... 2/ Year... 3/ QTR ....4/ starting with letter of name ... continue and what will appear is the whole of the qtr of Birth, Death or Marriage index for that year. I personally use the PDF file option (the box to the right of the drop downs) and click through that, if its not the page you require, close that page and you revert back to the page options. Sounds technical but far far easier in practice!

These are the original index of the GRO, they are not all there but many many are, AND ITS FREE
Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 October 04 07:31 BST (UK) »
I had a newsletter from 1837online recently where they were offering free access to three items, for newbies, and for existing customers.

Indexes included in the FREE TRIAL are:

Births in England & Wales during July, August and September 1868
Deaths in England & Wales during January 1984
Births, marriages and deaths overseas during 1870
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline nickyhug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 October 04 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks everyone.  I had a quick look at the FreeBMD site and did as you said Bryant, many thanks, it takes a bit longer to find the page, but who cares when it's free!! ;D
Nickyhug