Author Topic: Callaghan brick wall  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Callaghan brick wall
« on: Saturday 01 April 06 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone tell me in which direction I should head, I have John Patrick Callaghan born C1845 to John Callaghan (bookeeper) and I think cecilia (only as he called his first 2 daughters Margaret Cecilia and then cecilia) (his wifes mother was Margaret) Can find no trace of Jp's birth in the english and welsh bmd records so assume he was born in Ireland, family history is that the Callaghans came from cork. (and the 'O' was thrown overboard to save his wife from drowning!!)

Have tried the Irish searches but keep coming up with blanks.

Cheers  ;D
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline jean12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Callaghan brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 April 06 15:03 BST (UK) »
hi,  I have just joined rootschat and notice you are looking for callaghans from cork,  whereabouts in cork are your callaghans from, I have callaghans without the o and with.  also have a john and patrick in my tree.

jean

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 06 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I dont know where abouts! I cannot find any trace of them apart from John Patrick's marriage in Liverpool in 1865! Have them from that point onwards........Only family tradition says they are from cork, Ihave an aunt who swears it Killarney in Kerry that they come from! But have learnt to take all the stories with a large pinch of salt over the last 15 years!

John Patricks first son was called Thomas, keep trying to work the Irish naming into it, but when I got his wedding certificate his father was shown as John!  ???
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline jean12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
hi keren,   my callaghans come from skull,  does that ring a bell for you.  the callaghans from 1900backwards come from gunpoint.  dont know if thats any help to you.  let me know.

jean

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 06 21:26 BST (UK) »
It means nothing to me! We assume the last time any of our Callaghans were in Ireland is around 1845 to 1865! John Patricks birth to his Marriage.

So if you have a John missing from your tree who might have come over to England (liverpool)..........Lol, very long shot, but I will note down the place names and go and have a play on the Irish site! Cheers.  :)

Offline lizgardner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 May 06 22:43 BST (UK) »

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
I understand the frustation, I have been searching for anything on my ggrandmother Mary Callaghan for 8 years and nothing!
and I know where she is from in Cork.
I get differing info from family concerning the O
 :)When I ask my Mom she says "oh they were up the road to Donoughmore, past Stuake".
That hasn't helped either. I don't know where you are but the LDS may be of help, but I would check for both Counties, you never know.

Regards,
Liz
New York, USA

Researching Mary Callaghan b. ca.1865 somewhere past Stuake in Donoughmore m. to John Forde from Tower, Inniscarra