Author Topic: emigrants to south africa from isle of man  (Read 1642 times)

Offline oddmo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
emigrants to south africa from isle of man
« on: Monday 03 April 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the descendants of Lena and John Kneene who emmigrated from IOM in early 20th century. I know they had a son born on Man who went with them.
Lena nee Horsley was my gt gt aunt.I am descended from Louise her sister who married Tom Kinnish Burrows; the sisters wrote long letters for many years;Louise died in 1944. Anyone out there?

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
Re: emigrants to south africa from isle of man
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 06 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The url below does not reveal any KNEENE listings in South Africa.  There are however  8 entries for KNEEN ... it could well be that the family dropped the E over the course of time.

http://phonebook.yellowpages.co.za/servlet/SAWPSearchServlet

Writing to some of the folk listed might lead somewhere.

best wishes
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 06 19:37 BST (UK) »
I note the following on NAAIRS index at www.national.archives.gov.za:

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   SOURCE    MOOC                                                                  TYPE      LEER                                                                  VOLUME_NO 6/9/4119                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                    REFERENCE 34516                                                                 PART      1                                                                     DESCRIPTION          KNEEN, LENA ISABELLA. ESTATE PAPERS.                                 
STARTING  19320000                                                              ENDING    19320000             

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   SOURCE    MOOC                                                                  TYPE      LEER                                                                  VOLUME_NO 6/9/21836                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                    REFERENCE 6497/53                                                               
PART 1                                                                     DESCRIPTION          KNEEN, JOHN DOUGLAS. ESTATE PAPERS.                                   
STARTING  19530000                                                              ENDING    19530000         

These deceased estate files might provide information on children, if the references are to the correct  individuals.
No 'e' on the end.  There are many more references to the surname on a search of all RSA database on the above site.

Both files mentioned are in Cape Archives Repository.

Regards,
Mole
www.genealogyworld.net                                                   

All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline oddmo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 16:46 BST (UK) »
thankyou for both replies re kneen family; I think the spelling error was my own. i now have something to go on and will make contact with some random Kneens and hope for a match

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
I think that it would be advisable to get a local researcher or volunteer to access the file on Lena Kneen, since this forename tallies with your information. The Death Notice would present names of children and may provide useful clues.  This would be a more definite avenue than random shots at living Kneens.

If you are new to SA research or not certain what material is contained in estate files, may I suggest that you have a look at the Beginners Guide available at www.genealogworld.net (see Main Page) and also at the article 'Making the Most of Deceased Estate Files' at
http://www.genealogyworld.net/estate.html

Regards,
Mole

All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)