Author Topic: Gosling/Rowland/Bradley  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Gosling/Rowland/Bradley
« on: Tuesday 04 April 06 12:57 BST (UK) »
Struggling to find a definite birth record for my gg-grandfather William Gosling, I've run across an interesting coincidence, and wonder if anyone can help me out...

William GOSLING is recorded on all censuses as born c1826, Macclesfield.

IGI has an extracted record for the baptism of "William GOSLING or ROWLAND" at Bosley on 26 Feb 1826 - mother Anne GOSLING.  (No other Gosling or Rowland births with same batch number - Bosley isn't far from Macclesfield if you want to baptise an illegitimate child!)

On the 1841 census, my William (aged 15) is living in Hazel Grove, in the same household as William and Hannah BRADLEY and their 1 yr-old child.  Hannah is 35 years old.

A William BRADLEY m. Sarah Ann ROWLAND at St Mary, Stockport in 1840. (Cheshire BMD) 

Am I reading too much into this?  Before I shell out for the Bradley/Rowland marriage cert on the off-chance, does anyone have access to Bosley PRs to see if the original baptismal entry has any more detail than the IGI?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this one - is Sarah Ann/Anne/Hannah the same person?  ??? ???

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gosling/Rowland/Bradley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rambler,
 I can't help with the birth certificate but I can look up the marriage. If you can wait until the weekend I can have a look at the entry at Stockport library and let you know the details.
Regards,
Pat.

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

That's really kind of you, and would be much appreciated!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi MR

You can email the Cheshire RO with the birth details, as you have a name date and place they are unlikely to charge anything for checking it out, there is a link at the bottom of this post.

good luck

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter - I didn't know that, and will give it a try.

Rambler

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 April 06 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Rambler,
Here are the marriage details,
William Bradley, bachelor, of full age, occupation labourer, residence at time of marriage Dukinfield,
Father's name Peter Bradley, occupation Farmer.
Married at St Mary's Parish Church Stockport on the  21st September 1840, Page 135, Entry No 269. to
Sarah Ann Rowland, of full age, spinster, residence at time of marriage Dukinfield, Father's name John Rowland, occupation Farmer.
Witnesses, William Higinbotham [or could be Heginbotham] and James Wild
Curate, E Hawells.
I don't think it fits in with anything that you are looking for but you can at least discount it now.
Regards,
Pat.

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 April 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Pat - looks as if that one's out of the window, then.  Blast!

Back to the drawing board....   ???

Rambler

Offline TUP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 14:30 BST (UK) »
Just checked 1841 Census
Rowlands Buildings, Dukinfield, Cheshire
William Bradley Journeyman Grocer
Sarah A

No others in household

Offline TUP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
Further checking reveals that in the 1841 Census next door to William and Sarah A in Rowlands Buildings is one John Rowland (Brickmaker) 65 and Sarah 60
William Bradleys father Peter was definitely a Farmer, but was Sarahs ?????