Author Topic: My first field trip! Advice needed.  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
Re: My first field trip! Advice needed.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 April 06 17:41 BST (UK) »
Diana,

I have used the Record Office in Beverley and they were very helpful, there is an online catalogue so you can check what is available and oreder things in advance I think.

Enjoy your trip through the villages and places where your ancestors once lived. I had a wonderful time a couple of years ago doing just that. Though I think that i tried to cram too much into one day and sadly some of the places are a bit blurry in my memory.

Anyway have a great time

Sue

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
E Yorks: HALL, HARLEY, HARVEY, HULLAH, PORTER, PRESTON.
Essex: HARVEY, SMITH. ONG, HUMM/HUME
Norfolk: TUCK
Lincs: ADAMS, HOLLAND.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 April 06 22:16 BST (UK) »
Just a word of advice about consulting the Hull City Record Office - you need to ring up and make an appointment.  Your best bet for records is the Beverley Record Office, but do take time to see the area.  It's my patch, and I envy you, since none of my ancestors come from here!
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Online Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 April 06 09:31 BST (UK) »
Diana

Do you have any relatives buried in the Eastrington area?
I'm near by so it would be no problem for me to have a look and take photos for you.

Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 April 06 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for more useful advice!

Suttontrust - I think I will get the parish registers for Hull at Beverley - am I right?  I have booked a full day at Beverley for a Tuesday (9:30 to 8pm if my eyesight and brain can stand it!).  I could go to Hull another day if you thought it a good idea.  I'm also going to the resource centre in Sutton on Hull as that is where my ancestor John Cavill worked as a corn miller.  I know what you mean about being remote from your ancestors - I live in West Sussex myself!

Bee - Eastrington is very much the focus of my visit, my chief aim to find out how far back my Cavill family go there.  The earliest that I know of is John Cavill born in Hive/Sandholme in about 1789 (he won't be buried there as he lived later in Sutton then near Snaith).  I certainly hope to take a look at the graveyard for myself towards the end of Easter week but if you were able to come up with anything sooner, that'd be great to point me in the right direction, so to speak!

Thanks again
Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 April 06 19:07 BST (UK) »
I don't know what the Sutton resource centre has.  I suspect most records to do with Hull (in which Sutton now is) are in Hull.  If you let me know what you're looking for particularly I can check it out for you.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Suttontrust
I'm going to the Sutton resource centre mainly to get the historical context to where John Cavill lived and worked for about 3 decades.  Any specifics I find out about him will be a bonus.
Thanks for your help & ideas
Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
One of my distant cousins (GR, not Rootschat find) works part-time in the library in Snaith. I'm sure she would answer questions about the area if needed.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Online Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana

Had a lovely walk round the graveyard in Eastrington this morning, but sad to say I couldn't see any headstones for your Cavill family.

As is usual, there where lots of unmarked graves and unreadable headstones but there where about a dozen stones that I couldn't get access to as one corner had a small fence round and though the gate wasn't locked I didn't fancy the look of the solitary large black and very shaggy sheep complete with horns that was muching the grass :)

If you get to Eastrington, it's easy parking outside the Black Swan pub and the path to the church runs alongside the pub, it's quite a nice village though it's the first time I've been for over 10 years and it's only a couple of miles up the road.

enjoy your visit
Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: My first field trip! I'm back!
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much to everyone for your ideas, and thanks to Bee for looking at the churchyard.  I did visiit and take some photos, but drew a complete blank at every churchyard where I did look for graves!
My head's now spinning with it all and the dining table covered with my notes which all need assimilating!
But it doesn't appear as if my Cavill family originated in the area - or at least not as far as the Eastrington and Howden PR's are concerned.  I have discovered since the 1841 came online that my earliest Cavill, George, was not born in Yorks, so I'm pursuing Lincolnshire as a possible origin.
George was mis-indexed as Carile so it was one of my kind contacts who found him for me, which leads me on to a little challenge if any of you fancy a go - where is George's son John in 1841?  John Cavill was a corn miller, or employed by a corn miller.  Born 1789, married Frances/Fanny in Howden in 1819 when he was living in near Market Weighton, sons George (1825) and James (1831).  Both sons born in Sutton on Hull/Sutton in Holderness.  In 1851 John, Fanny & James are in Sutton so I would have expected them to be there in 1841 but no sign - I've been through all the pages.  By 1861/71 John & Fanny are in Snaith/Cowick area (mis-indexed as Cavert!).
Any ideas?
Thanks
Diana

Nick, I may well take you up on the offer of putting any questions to your cousin in Snaith - when I have a chance to work out what to ask!