Author Topic: My first field trip! Advice needed.  (Read 3448 times)

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
My first field trip! Advice needed.
« on: Thursday 06 April 06 17:07 BST (UK) »
After about a year of searching online (and using the notes my late mother made from some original sources) I am going up to Yorkshire after Easter to do some research.
What I'll be looking for will be mostly parish records pre-1837 for the following areas:
Eastrington/Hive/Sandholme
Ellerton
Sutton on Hull (formerly Sutton in Holderness)
Cowick/Snaith
What's the best place to head for?  It appears that the registers are held in various places eg. Beverley, Borthwick Inst, Hull, Doncaster - or is there somewhere I can go where I can see them all?
And any general hints & tips would be much appreciated!
Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Re: My first field trip! Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 06 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Last year I went up to Cumberland for the first time since starting my tree.

I had been up there many times throughout my life but decided to have a day where we travelled through their home villages using the quiet country lanes.

I cannot explain how it felt to literally stand in their footsteps and travelled along the lanes that they would have done.

Everyone in my tree has always been real to me, but can I sit here now and picture where 3 x gr grandad walked, your whole body has a warm secure tingle to it.

Please experience it if you can, it really is worth it.

Please let us know how you get on.

Take care

Half Pint

ps take lots and lots of notepaper and pencils with you, also a a small copy of your tree.  Whilst looking through the records you may find a name that dosen't mean anything to you at the moment but at a later date, who knows.............
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Elleray Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alice Gornall (1909 - 1973)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 06 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana,

I'm sure you have probably looked at Genuki - I am going up to Cumbria at easter and ordered a book from the Society of Geneaologists for that county which lists all available Parish Records and where they are held, including copies (I am certain they will do one for Yorkshire). They have a website.

If you are planning visiting any graves, then I would suggest a dustpan and brush - on our first trip we got very dirty and had some very strange looks when we came out of the graveyard!

Good luck and have fun!

karen
Elleray (Cumberland), Wren (Keswick), Parker (L'Pool and Cheshire), Bray (Cheshire), Gornall (Lancashire), Smithies (L'Pool), Rainford (West Kirby), Pinches (Shropshire and Wirral), Wilson, Walton and Merrick (Haddenham, Bucks)

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 April 06 17:37 BST (UK) »
Comfy shoes, Diana, some water to drink, a camera and a notebook.  And can I come? I LOVE Yorkshire!  ;D
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Elleray Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alice Gornall (1909 - 1973)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 April 06 17:38 BST (UK) »
How true that is Half Pint - I also like to visit buildings associated with my ancestors, sometimes it can be quite humbling.
Elleray (Cumberland), Wren (Keswick), Parker (L'Pool and Cheshire), Bray (Cheshire), Gornall (Lancashire), Smithies (L'Pool), Rainford (West Kirby), Pinches (Shropshire and Wirral), Wilson, Walton and Merrick (Haddenham, Bucks)

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 April 06 19:04 BST (UK) »
Whilst we were in Cumberland we had the chance to go down Florence Mine.

It is an iron ore drift mine and we walked down a 285ft to the face.

In my lounge I have several pieces of iron ore that come from the actual face that my grandad, gr grandad and several other relatives worked.

I can honestly say that it was the most terrifying time in my life but wow.........

That was humbling.  They are my heroes.

Half Pint
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 April 06 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your interesting and helpful replies!
I certainly intend to visit all the approprate villages and drink in the atmosphere.  And I'll certainly take note of all the equipment you recommend.
MrsLizzy - do come, all welcome!
Half Pint - interesting about the iron mine.  One of my Fogg ancestors in Derbyshire left a lead mine in his will, and £250 - quite a man of means for the 17thC I should think.
But this trip I'm mainly concentrating on my Cavill family.
Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 April 06 17:10 BST (UK) »
One point worth raising - allow much more time than you think you will need! It always takes far longer to get anything done and if you are too ambitious, you may end up compromising on far too much and coming away disappointed.

I believe Beverley for the E Yorks archives are pretty good as is Hull city archive. The larger archives will have material that you may not realise you need just yet.

I have a list of places I need to go and see that is as long as my arm. The only field trip I have managed to date was to see my grandfather's grave which had a stone with enough space for the details of his wife, but which was never used. It is only a few yards from the grave of his father-in-law and mother-in-law (poor chap!!) At least I have the pictures
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 April 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
When I did my first field trip in Norfolk, I went to the Norfolk Records Centre in Norwich. It has ALL the records I needed. Googling showed me that Yorkshire has three Records Centres, one for each county. I think they might be your starting point.

I then visited the villages my mob came from, and although it was interesting to walk where they walked and took a lot of photos, I learned nothing new.

So Record Centres for hard facts, out on the ground for the heart.

Have a good trip!

meles

Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London