Author Topic: William DORE of Freshwater, IOW, died abt 1784  (Read 1748 times)

Offline moltom

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William DORE of Freshwater, IOW, died abt 1784
« on: Thursday 06 April 06 19:42 BST (UK) »
The will of William DORE of Freshwater, IOW, was proved 6.July.1784.

Beneficiaries were:

Wife, Rebecca.
Sons, James & William.
Daurs, Anna & Sarah.

All these beneficiaries were mentioned in the will dated 9.May.1774.  I don't think Rebecca was the mother of most, if not all, of the children.

Ancestry has the following marriage licence allegation:

Dore, William, of Freshwater, husbandman, 20 [sic], w., & Rebecca Cotton, of the s., 21, sp., 30 Jun 1770.

The IGI also lists the above marriage, giving William's birth approx. 1745.  However, I think William may have been much older.

To complicate matters, the IGI also has:

William Dore

Spouse:  Rebackah Smith

Marriage:  8.Sept.1773, Freshwater, IOW

Could the latter groom have been the William b.c. 1745?

I think it possible that William Dore/Rebackah Smith were the parents of the children baptised in Tyneham, Dorset, between 1774 and 1782, i.e. William (1774), Sally (1774), Mary (1777), Anna (1780) & Robert (1782).

My guess is that the Tyneham Dores returned to Freshwater on the death of William senior.

Has anyone come across the burial or MI for the William Dore who died at Freshwater in approx 1784?  Hopefully, his age would be mentioned.

Thanks from Moltim

Offline rothbeverly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William DORE of Freshwater, IOW, died abt 1784
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 November 16 03:07 GMT (UK) »
William Dore (born 1752 Freshwater son of Wm Dore & Mary White) md 1773 Rebecca Smith had 6 children in Tyneham, Doreset (Sarah or Sally 1774, Wm 1774, Mary 1777, Anne 1780, Robert 1782 and James 1784) They then moved back to Freshwater, Isle of Wight (probably because of an accusation in 1783 Quarter Sessions Court of an assault on Robert Woodrow) and had 2 more children in Freshater (John Smith Dore 1786 and George Warrenot Dore in 1788)

His parents were Wm Dore and Mary White but it is interesting that after his mother died, his father also married a Rebecca (Rebecca Cotton 1774 in Freshwater) so Wm  husband of Rebecca Smith had a wife Rebecca and a stepmother Rebecca.

Beverly Roth