Author Topic: Horsburgh Family  (Read 22696 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Horsburgh Family
« Reply #27 on: Friday 05 April 24 10:25 BST (UK) »
Another tip, if you use the records search function (not family tree search) on the Familysearch website, and limit the date range (Scotland - match place exactly) it picks up virtually all the name variations for birth marriage and death records in one operation - it does not matter if you put in Horsburgh, Horsbrough or Horseburgh - you get the same results.
Yes, but FS now makes it quite difficult to home in on exactly the range of records you want - for example if you look for the birth of someone born in Scotland in the 1860s, you get all the matching results from the US census as well as the actual birth indexes.

FamilySearch (as other websites) has supposedly transcribed and indexed all ScotlandsPeople records
Supposedly. In fact they have not.

For example, try a search for given name John, birth 1820 to 1854, in Duffus, Moray.

FS produces 4 (four) results, only one of which is an actual birth/baptism record, and another is from Durris, which is a different place almost 80 miles from Duffus.

The identical search on SP produces 204 (yes, two hundred and four) birth/baptism records. For reasons no doubt known to the LDS, they did not index that volume of the Duffus parish registers when they were creating the IGI, and they have never remedied the omission.

I believe that there are similar omissions elsewhere. The southern half of Scotland, in particular, is said to have patchy coverage on FS because they abandoned the IGI before they had covered the whole country. And I have read, but never come across an actual instance, that in some parishes they only indexed the baptisms of males and omitted the females.

So I use FS for three sorts of search. First, to look up the originals of the US census. Second, to get actual dates of births and marriages from 1855 to 1874, which the LDS did index fully. Third, as one of several places to look for people who were born in Scotland and have disappeared from the Scottish records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Horsburgh Family
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 April 24 15:33 BST (UK) »
I agree, when you're looking for elusive records the more databases you can check the better. I also use Freereg & Freecen & while they have only limited coverage for Scotland they frequently turn up information not revealed on the other websites.

Regards