Author Topic: Shipping the Sidebothams  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Benners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Shipping the Sidebothams
« on: Tuesday 11 April 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
I hope SKS out there can help me with my questions...

Agnes1896 found for me a while ago an entry on the New York passenger lists as follows: arriving 5 sep 1883, departing Bristol, England, place of origin Bristol, Ship masted, port of arrival New York. Then the passenger/family that I am interested in are listed as such: Isabella Sidebotham, Wm Sidebotham, Chas Wm Sidebothan, Emily Sidebothan, Isabella Sidebothan, Rich H Sodebothan, Robert Sidebothan.

Can anyone tell me the name of the ship they came on?

Next question: while looking for arrivals for Ellis Island for 1907 and searching for Richard Henry Sidebotham age 32, his details appear but has anyone out there got full access to the rest of the information such as where the ship had come from, or any particular details about him??

I hope someone can help as this has proven a real family mystery so far.

Many thanks
Mark
Bentley - Lancs, Rothwell - Lancs, Yorks, Smith - Silsden (Yorks), Maher - Lancs & Ireland, Simpson - Kildwick (Yorks), Sidebotham - USA, Gilks & Beale - Buckinghamshire

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping the Sidebothams
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

1.     The ship name IS the "Masted".(William 38, minister and Isabella 36 his wife.)

2.      Access to Ellis Island records is free at http://www.ellisisland.org though you will need to register.

I found Richard Henry Sidebotham, age 32, clerygman, arriving at New York, port of departure Southampton.
The ship,The Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse, arrived Sept 18, 1907.  Richard was a USA citizen.
Sorry, but I am unable to read his destination, but perhaps you will have better luck. :(
I needed to go back to the "previous image" rather than the one that originally came up.
Happy hunting.
Valerie
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 18:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Grub for deciphering all this, from what I know of Richard I have been able to make out the 'Final Destination' as Fuson, Korea...so I assume he was in transit to there? If so do records exist for his exit from the US?....Indeed would he be listed as an arrival at Southampton on his outward journey?

I hope you can help as the final twist in the tail is that he was allegedly murdered in Korea in 1908 while doing missionary work, so it would be nice for me to find out as much as I can about him.

Many regards
Mark
Bentley - Lancs, Rothwell - Lancs, Yorks, Smith - Silsden (Yorks), Maher - Lancs & Ireland, Simpson - Kildwick (Yorks), Sidebotham - USA, Gilks & Beale - Buckinghamshire

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark
Unfortunately, there are are very few records in existence for outgoing passenger lists from the US to anywhere else.

It may be possible to join a mailing list for Korea via Rootsweb.  So much information is available there for the asking if you can provide any details at all.

I'm sorry for the loss....re murder. :'(...my gr gr grandfather was a methodist minister sent to Australia and I understand full well the difficulty there.....let alone Korea
God bless his heart and soul.

Valerie
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maurie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 06 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi ...........I have full information on Reverend Richard Sidebotham who was a missionary to Korea until 1908 when he returned home on furlough he was killed in an accident in Michigan.  I presently live in Korea and yesterday, I visited a church in Pusan which Sidebotham helped to establish. With me was Sidebotham's great grand daughter, Esther Berg who is currently a missionary in Pusan.

Offline Maurie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 06 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.  Personal Message Sent.

Reverend Richard Sidebotham was a missionary to South Korea in the early 1900's.  He died accidently in 1908 while on furlough in the United States. A son Alfred, and a daughter Margaret, were born to him while living in Korea.  The present day Presbyterian Church in South Korea recognizes and is thankful for the ministry of this early pioneer of the work of God in Asia.

THIS ISTHE RECORD OF HIS ARRIVAL BACK FROM KOREA FOR THE FURLOUGH DURING WHICH HE WASKILLED IN 1908:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.  Personal Message Sent.

He was killed while on furlough in the USA in 1908:

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 November 06 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Racine Daily Journal, The
Thursday, December 10, 1908

Rev. R. E. Sidebothim, a missionary
         recently returned from Corea, was to
         have addressed the prayer meeting of the
         First Presbyterian church last night, but
         a message was received that he had
         been instantly killed in a gasoline explos-
         ion at Lapeer,  Mich., his home, after hav —
         ing spent a day there. Rev. Sidebotham
         made a mistake when lighting a fire,
         pouringg gasoline on the wood instead of
         kerosene. There was a terrific explosion
         and he was almost instantly killed, his
         entire body being horribly burned.

Sorry could not attach the image

Susan
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 November 06 04:51 GMT (UK) »
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Benners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 November 06 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Amazing!...thankyou all for this information.....I have been in touch with Rev.Esther Berg for some time now and we have swapped plenty of pictures of the family....I am indebted to everyone here.