Author Topic: Arthur William TURNER - Do you know this man?  (Read 6588 times)

Offline chrianne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Arthur William TURNER - Do you know this man?
« on: Tuesday 12 October 04 16:01 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find the birth record of my grandfather Arthur William TURNER.  Supposedly born in Leicester in 1873.  I have his marriage certificate, (married Mercy Maria Newbrooks in Leicester in 1933) and death certificate, (died in Leicester in 1939) but I cannot find his birth date.

Also I cannot find him on any census.  1861,1881,1891,1901. There is an Arthur TURNER on the 1891 census but he's in prison and I don't know how to find out any more details about him without going to the National Archives in London to look at the prison records.

This is a huge brickwall for me.  So if anyone has and A.W Turner that they think could be him please contact me.

I have spent quite a bit on Birth Certificates all of which have turned out to be the wrong person. :'(

Hoping someone can help
Regards
Christine
Hobson, Straw, Day, Sellers, Pilkington, Martin, Allen, Dyson, Temperton, Bowley, Coats, Hanks, Beagley, Follows, Barsby, Turner, Hulls, Headley, Curtis, Burrows, Gilbert, Wardle, Ellis

Yorkshire, Leicester

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur William TURNER - Do you know this man?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 16:20 BST (UK) »
To make searching the census a little easier do you have his fathers name??

Please post and I will have a look for you.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline chrianne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky

According to the marriage certificate in 1933 his father was John William Turner (deceased).

Thanks for your help

Christine
Hobson, Straw, Day, Sellers, Pilkington, Martin, Allen, Dyson, Temperton, Bowley, Coats, Hanks, Beagley, Follows, Barsby, Turner, Hulls, Headley, Curtis, Burrows, Gilbert, Wardle, Ellis

Yorkshire, Leicester

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 17:07 BST (UK) »

As you will know incomplete name information on censuses is very common. People used either their first or second names or nicknames at will. The following seems to be a possiblilty - the 1881 census.

William Turner Head  M   Male 34 Erdington, Stafford  Elastic Web Weaver
Mary A. TURNER   Wife   M   Female   33   Leicester, England       
 William TURNER   Son   U   Male   13   Leicester, England   Scholar     
 Arthur TURNER   Son   U   Male   9   Leicester, England   Scholar     
 Ann SMITH   Stp Mother   W   Female   54   Tamworth, Warwick, England       

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
  Dwelling   New Road
  Census Place Quorndon, Leicester, England
  Family History Library Film   1341751
  Public Records Office Reference   RG11
  Piece / Folio   3151 / 79
  Page Number   7
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi cheryle here Hackstaples seems abit closer than me but everyoneones ideas help i suppose. I"ve got 1871 censusBarkstone Leics William Turner33 and Mary 33,living in House of father Edward Turner with son ofWilliam, Arthur age one so born 1870 not73, but in town also John Turner50 and Ann(wife)maybe relative and where William received first name from?IF THERES GOING TO BE A SPANNER THROWN IN THE WORKS WE MAY AS WELL THROW A BIG ONE IN........sorry regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline chrianne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I hadn't had access to the 1871 Census so that is the only one I hadn't checked.  The William you have found sounds very promising. 

I have checked the BMD Indexes at my local library and there are no Arthur William Turners born in Leicester in 1873. 

I assumed he must have lied about his age but I have still been unable to locate him, assuming he had his fathers name correct. As I said before he states his father was John William (deceased) but he may have been using the name William on the Census. 

The local RO in Leicester has all the census for Leicester but they are indexed by address, which makes it very difficult to search.   I personally searched the 1881 and 1901 and someone else searched the 1891 for me.

I have also purchase various directories but still I cannot find Arthur William.

Do you have access to the images for the 1871 Census as I would really appreciate a copy of the image.   

Many thanks for all your help
Regards
Christine

Yorkshire, Leicester