Author Topic: British Home Children - Child Migration Scheme - Canada  (Read 18183 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British Home Children - Child Migration Scheme - Canada
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 August 04 19:51 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for posting this link how i do wish this could of been availabel befor my mother died she tried every way to try to finde her brother that was sent to Canada at the age of 16  in 1929 my mother was then 10 years old she never saw her brother again and to my knowledge only went to see his mother once during the war in 1934 he was never heard of again
audrey

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 August 04 11:57 BST (UK) »
 ;D
I can hardly wait to try some of the sites mentioned re births/marriages of the Home Children.

My grandparents were sent to Canada (Ontario) g.mother from a childrens home & g.father from the workhouse.
It has taken me a very long time to obtain information, but still more to find yet, so will hopefully? get a lead now!?
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 14:04 BST (UK) »
 :(

Sadly using the sites mentioned, I was unable to obtain any further information to add to that I already had, so alas, its back to the drawing board!

I`m still trying to find information re my gt aunt, Grace Gartland (nee Gagan or Geoghan) she married Augustus Gartland in 1894 in Ontario, my last infor on her was via the 1901 Ontario census, & then tht of twin sons Jerome & Jerrold born to her in 1903, then a brick wall ???
I just do not know where to try next
Any ideas??
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline Donni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 23:21 BST (UK) »
"The other members of family are not listed - does this mean they were not sent to Canada?

Missing from same family:

Charles William Dainton born 1 Nov 1879
Edward Dainton born 1886
Ellen Dainton born 1888"

Found the following on http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tweetybirdgenealogy/index.html

Our Old Friends' Directory February 1896
DAINTON Charles W, Harwich, Kent, March 1893

and on
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maryc/north02.htm

Northern District Marriages 1902 has a C W and Ellen Dainton as witnesses to the marriage of a John Miller and Catherine Ritchberg

indiapaleale

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
From the Canadian Archives page:

DAINTON , C

Sex:    M
    Year of arrival:    1893
    Microfilm reel:    C-4515
    Ship:    SS Labrador
    Port of departure:    Liverpool
    Departure Date:    16 Mar 1893
    Port of arrival:    Halifax
    Arrival Date:    25 Mar 1893
    Party:    Dr Bernardo's
    Comments:    Intermingled with H93BC, but via US Portland
    Note:    The child's surname was illegible or difficult to decipher.

India.

Offline Robertb99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 December 04 03:43 GMT (UK) »
The gateway to the BHC site at the Canadian Archives in Ottawa can be reached at:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020110_e.html

That provides you with a number of links to source data that is stored on microfilm in the archives, much of which can be borrowed through your local library facilities. 

I don't know about the Bernardo children, but the records of those children who went through the Middlemore homes to Canada and Aus are held on a number of microfilm reels in the National Archives.  As I live near Ottawa, it was relatively easy for me to find the records for my wife's mother and her siblings who came to Canada via the Middlemore route. 

The reels contain all the data about the children and their circumstances in both the UK and in Canada / Aus, which were pertinent to their being taken into custody and were relevant to their foster homes in "the Colonies".   :)

I believe that you can access a full listing of the various Reels and their contents from the URL provided above.  Once you have found the Reel(s) on which info about your rellies is / are most likely to be found, you can ask your local library to borrow a copy for you to peruse, I think; as one of my wife's rellies in Cornwall went that route to obtain the data concerning her mother. 

I hope this helps.

Robert in Kanata
Brown, Johnston(e), Farmer, Christie, Watson (all in Fife); Bryant & Potter in Essex & Bristol; Harrison in Birmingham; M'Corma/ick in Cape Breton; Riley in Nova Scotia; Y-DNA profiles

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 January 05 04:18 GMT (UK) »
To all who have ancestors sent to Barnardos.
You can request Barnardos to send the records of your family member that was processed through Barnardos.
The Barnardo Inst. still exists and has retained their records.
Ted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 14:54 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)

If anyone has Ancestors who were sent to Canada from Cheshire, the following link maybe of interest

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,81351.0.html

:) :) :)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 15:20 BST (UK) »
I am just sticking this comment in here in case someone finds it useful in the future and find it while googling.

There is an organisation in Nottingham, UK called the Child Migration Trust that exists to help the migrated child find any existing members of their own family back home in Britain.
It was set up by Margaret Humphreys who has written a wonderful book called Empty Cradles about her work.

As you will all know, some children and their parents were told that their relatives had died when it was not the case, so Margaret's work has been particularly important.

There was a very good TV play here in England which has since been repeated and which I very much admired, The Leaving of Liverpool which is a fictionalised account of the experiences of some of these children.

I can recommend the book and the play.

Regards

Louise
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams