Author Topic: 1841 / 1851 Census Lookup Requests Please For Edward Rossiter  (Read 1299 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
1841 / 1851 Census Lookup Requests Please For Edward Rossiter
« on: Sunday 16 April 06 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for information please about the parents and siblings of Edward Rossiter born Chichester circa 1829.

His mother is Jemima ( maiden name unknown) but I have no further details about her or Edward's father.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Best wishes

rcuser 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 / 1851 Census Lookup Requests Please For Edward Rossiter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 06 23:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Rcuser, I haven't been able to find Edward Rossiter b. Chichester c1829 in any census.  Can you give us a starting point?

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 April 06 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dimps,

I was given the information from the British Vital Records Index. Edward's mother was given as Jemima Rossiter, but there were no details about father who I assumed was deceased.

It's possible that Jemima was a single mother or indeed that Edward died at birth. I do have a Jemima Rossiter born 1807 in Chichester, the daughter of Thomas Rossiter & Elizabeth Coleman. It's possible that she is the mother.

All I can suggest is that you post details of any Jemima Rossiter you find in Chichester together with their family members and I'll try to reconstruct the Chichester branch of the Rossiter family.

I wish I could help you more but unfortunately I'm working from very limited information.

Best wishes

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 06 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi rcuser,

The only Jemima I can find in Chichester is the one in 1851 Parchment Street that you already have.  By the way, I have noticed that a John Monk (33, gardener's labourer, b. Chichester) was lodging next door with Hannah Boxall. 

In 1851, there was one who was born in Chichester about 1820, who was a servant in Westminster in 1851 and another in St Pancras who was born in Chichester about 1850.  These are obviously not old enough to be the Edward's mother, but I can give you more details if you like.

Dimps

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 06 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dimps,

Thanks for that. I have 2 Jemimas, one born 1807 who was the daughter of Thomas Rossiter & Elizabeth Coleman and Jemima born 1845 who was her niece and the daughter of her brother John ( born 1805) and Ann Monk. So we have a Rossiter- Monk connection. On a different line I have a William Boxall married to Hannah Rossiter, daughter of Samuel Rossiter & Lucy Gandy, so we have a Rossiter - Boxall link. Wonder if William Boxall & Hannah Boxall are related?

I suspect that perhaps Jemima born 1807 is Edward's mother but please post details of the other London Jemimas which you have as you never know where they will lead.

Best wishes

rcuser

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 00:14 BST (UK) »
1851 Census
HO107/1484  Folio 323 Page 37
28 St James Place, Westminster

Jemima Rosseter, Unm, 31, Housemaid, b. Chichester

She is there alone!  Presumably the family and the rest of the servants were in the country.

HO107/1497 Folio 156 Page 54
One of a number of families at 3 Caroline St., Pancras Camden Town

Thomas Rossiter, Head, Mar, 22, Whitesmith, b. Chichester
Mary Ann Rossiter, Wife, Mar, 21, b. do
Jemima Rossiter, Daur, 15 months, b. do

I have found a Jemima in the 1851 Census who was born in Chichester c1806:

HO107/1657 Folio 73 Page 9
Portsea, Hampshire
(Can't read name of street)

Joseph Basker, Head, Mar, 50, Brewer, b. Chichester
Jemima Basker, Wife, Mar, 45, b. do
Joseph Moore, Shepherd 35, iner, b. Petersfield Hants
Elizabeth Hervard, Servant, U, 18, House Servant, b. Portsmouth Hants

Perhaps there is someone on the Hampshire Board who can do a Rossiter/Basker marriage look-up for you.

Dimps

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dimps,

Many thanks for those. No-one is instantly recognisable to me so I have more lines of investigation to pursue, however the last one , the wife of Joseph could be the Jemima born circa 1807.

That's the problem with this research. In the course of investigating one person you learn about others you have never heard of and you end up on an endless merry-go-round trying to map everything out and put every one in place with their family. Ho hum!!

Best wishes

rcuser 

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 15:10 BST (UK) »
Talking of finding people you never knew about, when I came across Jemima Basker in Hampshire, I noticed some possible relatives of mine living next door to her!

Dimps

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dimps,

Thanks for that. It's a small world. It's nice that you should get something out of your hard work as well as me.

Best wishes

rcuser