Author Topic: Mistakes made - now trying to find new family link  (Read 3960 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Mistakes made - now trying to find new family link
« on: Sunday 16 April 06 14:38 BST (UK) »
After sending for my Great Grandad Edward John Owen's birth cert I found his mother's name was Margaret Owen. The even better part was that in the birth cert it stated that he had been registered by his Grandmother Ann Owen and gave her address as 14 Baptist Street, Holyhead. Everything I needed to find the next generation back so off I went on a search for them and found them, thier children and even their parents so I got back 2 generations rather than one.

Anyway 4 months later we met the Grandadughter of his sister Harriet and she stated that their mother had married a man named Evans after Harriet and Edward John were born and that when Harriet married she was an Evans. The Grandaughter also thought that Evans was her real father so with this challenge in mind I sent for Harriet's birth cert. No father's name and mother was ELLEN Owen not Margaret.

So the detective work started with us trying to see if Harriet and Edward John were actually brother and sister or possibly just cousins. Harriet had always been known as Auntie Harriet to my Mum. She had even taken over looking after my Grandad when Edward's 1st wife died.

We couldn't find anything at all - even Harriet in the 1901 census (she was born 1897 and Edward John in 1884). I went to the cemetery and found Harriet's grave. On the gravestone were her husband and also two others - William born about 1860 and Agnes, sister of William born about 1864 and so the mystery deepened.

I remember seeing 2 listings for edward John Owen in the BMD but one was in July 1883. I had picked the latter in Feb 1884. I decided to send for the 1883 and when it arrived it solved a lot of the mystery. his mother was listed as ellen and no father so we had found the link.

After searching Ancestry 1871 census for Ellen, Agnes and William in one family I was beginning to lose all hope until I put in just Agnes and 1864 +/- 2 yrs and up popped a family which gave me a one heck of a surprise.

Mother was Elizabeth Owen born about 1831 Llanfechell and she had 5 children - William b 1860, Agnes b 1864, Ellen b 1866, Mary Jane b 1867 and Jacob b 1870 all born in Holyhead. Now the surprise was that they were all listed in JONES (except Elizabeth) Elizabeth stated that she was unmarried so no man around at all. This had to be the family especially with the Jacob as he was confirmed by my Mum as being either Edward's brother or Uncle - the latter being the right relation to him.

I then searched the 1861 and found Elizabeth, again unmarried with another son Edward born about 1854 but still no man around.

In 1881 Elizabeth is now OwenS and widowed! and she has another son Owen Owens not Jones born about 1880 !! Jacob is also with her and listed as Owens. So it looks like the family just decided to change their name from Jones to Owen/s between 1871 and 1881.

Now the details I have so far are that

Agnes married a man named Williams as on the gravestone she is Agness Williams.

Ellen had another child and then married Evans (Harriet is not Evans child)

On Edward John's marriage cert he gives his fathers name as John Roberts Seaman Deceased. In 1891 Edward Johni s living with his Auntie Elizabeth E Owen (nee Roberts) at Vulcan Street Holyhead. The previous census shows her and her brother John living there.

We don't know what happened to William 1860 but when he died the address on his gravestone is Tan y Radd which is around the Holyhead Mountain area. Harriet also has this address on her birth cert. Edward John's is Pentre Canol ( Centre of village or town) and that is where i found them all in 1871

Ellen married Evans and went on to have another three children - Thomas, David and Elizabeth though I have no dates for them.

Jacob married Anne and they had 6 children. They lived in the centre of Holyhead in Wynne Street.

What I am hoping for is that there is someone out there who has  a link to this family or has any info on the address in Holyhead mountain for around the 1901 census. My eyes are not seeing what they are supposed to see

It has caused me so many headaches and then we thought we had solved it but we haven't - not totally.

Any info is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline whoosh

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mistakes made - now trying to find new family link
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 06 00:39 BST (UK) »
Interesting story.
Isn't genealogy fun.
The detective work and finding something at the end is one of the greatest thrills.
Good luck in the rest of your research

Cheers,
Darren M Flowers
Wyrallah NSW
Australia
ENG: Lincs: Flowers, Coxell, Winterton, Mays, Kime, Spreckley, Whiting, Colvin
ENG: Cornwall: Harding, Hocking, Julian, Johns, Lugg, Parsons, Bastion, Margant, Dawe, Rule, Whitburne, Andrew, Williams, James
SCO: Kirkcudbrightshire: Copland
WAL: Anglesey: Humphrey Jones
WAL: Pembrokeshire: Margaret Davis

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 06 02:31 BST (UK) »
Just found some more info for this family

1891 Edward John is listed as Roberts and not living with his Auntie as previously thought but with his Grandmother Elizabeth Owen born 1831 Llanfechell and Auntie Mary Jane and Uncle Owen. They are living at Vron (fron) on Holyhead Mountain area.

1891 Ellen is listed as Ellen Owen and living with daughter Ellen in Vron on Holyhead Mountain area. Unmarried and no man around

1901 Ellen is listed as Ellen Charles and living at Vron with children Ellen, Thomas and Harriet. All the children are listed as Charles. Ellen states she is married but living off her own means. No man around there either though her Uncle Owen b 1875 is living with them and listed as a visitor.

1901 Edward John is living on Holyhead Mountain area but working on a farm owned by a man named Jones.

1901 Jacob is living in Llaingoch in the Holyhead Mountain area with wife Ann and children. He later moved to Wynne Street where Edward John lived in 1908 with wife Mary Jones, son Edward 1906 and my Grandfather, Richard 1908.

Ellen must have married Evans about 1902 (if she married him) as David was married in 1923 and had to have been at least 21 to get married.

So back to the drawing board with this one I think. Hopefully someone out there might be able to help with a fresh pair of eyes that see more than I am

Thanks again in advance

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 06 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Darren (again)

The searching is fun but we should all have shares in a headache tablet company with all the headache tablets we have to take lol

Carol

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 06 08:28 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 census for Anglesey there is an Elizabeth Owen 49 born Llanfechell and married to Henry Owen who is 60 and was born in Llanfairynghornwy. Not sure if that is the same Elizabeth. There are also 3 others, Jane 18, Henry 14, Abraham 23, all listed as Jones
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 06 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks WelshGen

That is very interesting as I never thought to look for Elizabeth in the 81. Only looked for Ellen

I will check it out and see what I get from it

Thanks again

Carol