Author Topic: Aberdeenshire families  (Read 46369 times)

Offline PaulB28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeenshire families
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 December 06 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Unfortunately I have not found any more information so far on John riddle or Janet Cowie.

Regards

Paul
researching Byrnes (Armagh) Byrne (Dublin) Carrick (Dublin) Bellew (Armagh) Garvey Armagh) Meldrum, Davidson, Mortimer, Dow, Bain (all Aberdeenshire) Robello (italy & Aberdeen) plus more

Offline PaulB28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I thought update the information on the Families in Aberdeenshire that I am researching.

Robello - Looking for information on Paul Robello who married Mary Ann McKay daughter of William McKay and Maria Withnall on the 16th of December 1853.   Also the McKay family mary ann had a sister Catherine McKay who was born in Aberdeen in 1834 she had two children with a James Davie, James and clara.  Catherine then married William Aitken in Edinburgh in 1868.

Meldrum - Looking for information on  the family of George Meldrum and Elspet Mackie who married on the 9th of August 1800.  I know they had at least five children George (1800), Mary (1804), Jean (1802), Anne (1808) and Margaret. All the children were born in Insch except George who was born in Leslie.

Mortimer - Looking for information on Alexander Mortimer & Elspet Watt who were married in 1773 in Insch.  They had one child William Mortimer who married Margaret McRonald in Insch in 1801.  They had two children Janet (1802) & John (1803).  The Mortimers lived at Overboddam (upper Boddam) in Insch. 

researching Byrnes (Armagh) Byrne (Dublin) Carrick (Dublin) Bellew (Armagh) Garvey Armagh) Meldrum, Davidson, Mortimer, Dow, Bain (all Aberdeenshire) Robello (italy & Aberdeen) plus more

Offline Lucretius5

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 July 07 09:42 BST (UK) »
The Meldrums are not blood relations of mine but John Meldrum was my father's step father and 'Grandad Meldrum' to me and I have vague memories of him although he died when I was about 4.

I know that he came from Huntly and that his parents were farmers so I believe that he must be the John Meldrum that appears on the 1881 and 1891 census at Dukewell, the son of William and Margeret. I don't know his DOB but c.1878 seems about right.

My 'Grandad Meldrum' became a ships chief engineer, latterly on the 'Levenpool' (I have perhaps the only existing picture of the ship). He married my grandmother Mary Ellen Anderson Scott nee Richardson in (I think but I have yet to send for the suspected marriage certificate) 1911 and they lived in the Tynemouth area. Unfortunately, she made him give up the sea and work in a factory but he was an intelligent man who loved mathematics and mathmatical puzzles. I still have his parallel rulers and a puzzle book.

I believe that he had one brother who became a doctor, his studies partially funded by my grandfather. I believe that he had a sister who may have become a university lecturer but I am not sure.

After his wife died in 1947, he moved to Leigh-on-Sea, Essex to live with my parents but died a couple of years later.

John had no children of his own so it would be nice to fit him into someone's family tree so that he is not completely forgotten. I can't find another John Meldrum in the Huntly area at the right time (apart from the nephew John aged 11 on the 1881 census and also living at Dukewell).

Is this of any interest to you?

Scott, Kennedy, Richardson, Hoffmann, Laughton, Anderson, Bryce, Willcock

Offline PaulB28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 22 July 07 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

The only John Meldrum I have in my tree is my GG Uncle who was born in 1863 in Insch, his parents were George Meldrum and Mary Mortimer.

John Married Mary Brown Murray and lived in forgue in Aberdeenshire.

Sorry there is no connection this time.

Regards

Paul

Offline cattiemckay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I live in one of your family houses!
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 26 July 07 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul

I was just trawling through the site when I saw that you are related to John Meldrum.  He was the Souter who lived in my house at Templeford in Forgue. I am currently setting up an exhibition of social history in Forgue and the Murray/Meldrums have a starring role!  I have the original feu disposition signed by William Farquharson Murray who was John Meldrum's father in law.  He bought the house in 1920 moving from just down the road at Aucharnie where he lived in a row of cottar cottages.

It would be great if you could get in contact.  If you have any family photos that you would be willing to led me or email to be that would be great.  Any family history - especially social history would be great too.  If you would like to see the house at any time then just let me know (*)and I can show you around (not that there's much!).  But there is the kitchen range that Sandy Meldrum put in on his marriage.

Kind regards

Catriona McKay

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I have Morrisons in Forgue & Huntly practically coming out of my ears if that's any help to you?

The furthest definite link back I have is William MORRISON, born at Brae of Bognie, Forgue in 1772 who married Isabel HENDERSON and died sometime before 1841. They had at least four sons - John, Alexander, William and George. George farmed at Mid Ashalloch, Forgue, until his death in 1883 and was married to Janet SIMPSON, although he also had two children by Janet TAYLOR. John maried Janet DAVIDSON, and William married Catherine BANNERMAN.

They were fruitful and multiplied, and I'm starting to think they're related to just about every Morrison in Forgue today!

Offline Rutter88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 17 February 08 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Have not visited this board for some time and I have just seen your message.

My family farmed at Dukewell and my G3 Grandfather was William Meldrum (1766-1850) .

William married Janet Grant and they had four children including Janet Meldrum (1809-1894). Janet had a second husband (?) John Milne - can't find marriage certificate - but a William Meldrum is her son. Born 1843, died Feb 4th 1924, he married Margaret Mitchell (1851-July 3rd 1939), and had a son John born 1878, died Sept 7th 1944.

I have photos of the family, including John, outside the farm as well as recent photos of the farm today and the 1930's.

If this links with your relatives, I would be happy to share greater details.

My new e-mail is:
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Meldrum, Reid, Mitchell, Grant

Offline PaulB28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 23 February 08 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My Meldrums from Insch is the other Meldrums in Insch, going back to George meldrum and Elspet Mackie who were married in Insch in 1800, they had the following children

George Meldrum Born 1800 Married Margaret Morrison
Jean Meldrum Born 1802
Mary Meldrum Born 1804 Married James Stephen
Anne Meldrum Born 1808 Married Alexander Mellis
Margaret Meldrum

My direct line is through George Meldrum and I have quite alot information on the Meldrum, So far I have not found no connection with your meldrum family but always thought there is a connection so where!

If you require any other information please let me know.

Regards

Paul

Offline Rutter88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 February 08 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info.  I am sure there must be a link further back but there is no link to my tree at present.  I'll keep digging.

Regards,

Peter
Meldrum, Reid, Mitchell, Grant