Author Topic: Coincidence or bigamy in York 1840?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline enfys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coincidence or bigamy in York 1840?
« on: Monday 17 April 06 13:54 BST (UK) »
For some time I have been struggling to interpret some information I have on my family tree.
First some facts that I am confident make sense.

1. Rosamund Mary Jackson daughter of William Blythe Jackson and Jane (Pape)  bap 1809 in Hessle.
2. Rosamund Mary Jackson married George Henry Roberts at St Olave's in York on Oct 21st 1839. This marriage certificate shows that George is a printer and that the couples respective fathers are William Roberts and William Jackson.
3. This couple have a daughter Eliza Jane born in March 1841 in the Parish of St Dennis, York and the details on the birth certificate confirm all the previous details noted on their marriage certificate.
4. With the help of Roots Chat, the family have been found in the 1841 census in Groves Passage, St Dennis Walmgate:

G.H.Roberts     26 journeyman printer
Mary Roberts   30
Eliza Jane          3 months

5. Birth of Elizabeth Ann Holloway in Summertown Oxford Sept 1845
This certificate shows mother as Rosamund Mary Holloway formerly Jackson and father as George Holloway printer.

So I am looking for a death of the first husband G.H.Jackson  and a marriage to the second husband George Holloway. What I have found is

6. Death of George Henry Roberts in Leeds Dec Qtr 1840
I have not applied for this certificate as I was not sure it would tell me much.

7. Marriage of George Holloway and Mary Jackson in York at St Mary Bishophill Senior on Feb 2nd 1840.
This shows George Holloway also to be a printer and Mary's father to be William.

So the dates of 6 and 7 do not fit with 3 and 4.
Alternatively the information contained in 6 and 7 relate to other people with the same names.

I would be grateful for suggestions as to how I can resolve these possible inconsistences.

Incidently, coming forward in time I have found George Holloway and (Rosamund) Mary in the 1851 census in Cheltenham with Eliza Jane( by then named Holloway) and other children. By the time of the 1861 census Rosamund Mary is a widow in Bristol still with Eliza Jane and other children.
Thank you for your time in reading through this.
Richard

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coincidence or bigamy in York 1840?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 06 21:32 BST (UK) »
As both the death registration you have found and the marriage occurred in 1840, if either were correct they wouldn't explain the census entry of 6th June 1841!

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

It's certainly a puzzle!

Have you found George Holloway on the 1841 census?  If the death you've found in 1840 is correct then I wonder if the 'G.H.' in G.H. Roberts could stand for 'George Holloway' instead of 'George Henry' and the Roberts added for respectability's sake?  Some of mine seem to have swapped names around to give the impression that they were respectable married couples when they quite clearly were not.  ::)

George Henry Roberts is quite a common name - the only way to check that the death was correct would be to get the certificate and hope that the name of the informant connected him to Rosamund.

Jo.

Offline enfys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo,

Thank you for your suggestion- I will get the death certificate of GHR in Leeds. The age of death, occupation and name of informant could clarify the situation for me.
Also your suggestion of an interpratation of the 1841 census information hadn't occured to me- thanks again for that.
Regards

Richard

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

A quick question...

Does the marriage of George Holloway and Mary Jackson in York 1840 show her as a widow?

I ask because a 1839 certificate I have of a widow remarrying shows she uses her married not her maiden name, although I don't know if that's always the case :-\

Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline enfys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Daisy,

The 1840 marriage shows Mary Jackson as a spinster.
Also, the 1845 birth certificate of Elizabeth Ann Holloway shows mother as Rosamond Mary Holloway formerly Jackson so no mention that she was Roberts
previously.
Thank you for your interest.
Regards,
Richard