Author Topic: Belfast Meet Saturday 29th July  (Read 15384 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Meet Saturday 29th July
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 12 August 06 15:08 BST (UK) »
I've never been to New York Gill :'(

Offline beresford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 12 August 06 19:18 BST (UK) »

now, now, chris.

there was no need for those ( ref concise oxford dictionary) bitter and wounding remarks.

what happened to RESPECT of other peoples  views chris as to wether ( not sure spelt right) we have our pics shown all over the WORLD ( don't forget this is a web site, anyone  can log on) , isn't everyone allowed free choice,  no one was told at the met that the pic's were going on site, if we had we might not have allowed so many to be taken. or maybe when you were arranging it if yopu had said about pic's going on the web we  could have had our say first.

as for me i was on holiday and they were my hoilday pic's, taken for ME not the web site.

so come on chris, lighten up, you have been such  a great help to people, don't spoil it with your sarcasm.

all the best

mo

beresford, moore, hanna, o'boyle, wall/s, mclarnon, gormley and other related names--from, donegore, antrim and Belfast, address, carrickhill place, Sydney st west, Tasmania st, lisnevanagh and islandreagh

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 13 August 06 06:19 BST (UK) »
Mo, I saw pics from other meets and did not anticipate this would happen. It's all beyond me as you are all posting messages about grandparents etcetra so there is a lot of personal information that anyone who likes can read anyway. Who is to know what is used elsewhere. I certainly have no clue.

I'm busy elsewhere and will be doing a two year part time post graduate diploma course on  "Belfast: A Social and Cultural History of a Changing City 1600 - 2000" The second year includes a genealogy module. I'm also considering a second course on Investigating your Family Tree" Under these circumstances I will have to be slightly more selective with the help I give as I'll probably have to do some studying during the week as well as attending the courses. I'll see how things go.   

Chris

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 13 August 06 08:15 BST (UK) »
Chris

Just to say I hope you very much enjoy your course. Do you start in September?

I do hope this thing about photo's doesn't spoil a really smashing 'group'.

How often do you attend university?

If I could get over I'd give it a go too. I'd be very interested in hearing about it all when you begin.

Gill :)
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline Vonny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 13 August 06 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I have been lurking for a while but have read all the messages in the "Belfast Meet Saturday 29th July " thread.

When you find the time, please keep up the good work that you are doing because as well as being wonderful for those who met up in Belfast, it is so very good to read about, for those of us who have yet to make such a trip reality.

Kindest regards

Yvonne

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 13 August 06 15:31 BST (UK) »
Well I dont mind my Photo being posted on the site it would be nice for others to see us having fun you dont even have to say who is who. just black out a couple of gobs. sorted   ;D

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 13 August 06 15:37 BST (UK) »
Well I dont mind my Photo being posted on the site it would be nice for others to see us having fun you dont even have to say who is who. just black out a couple of gobs. sorted   ;D

Colette

Eeek It's a message from herself. The voice of reason :D Young Colette does her best to keep me in order from a distance folks. She sends me messages threatening dire things if I do not behave myself. I imagine next time she meets me she may hit me with a stick of Blackpool Rock :D Thanks for your message, Colette.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 13 August 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hiya Vonny, thanks for your message. There is a series of monthly meets planned in Belfast for the next twelve months as well as the Dublin meet. This looks as though it will take place in June 2007. The monthly meets are thanks to an idea of Joebhoy who enjoyed the Belfast meet on 29th. Anyone in Belfast at the end of a month does not have to think too hard re the date .. the meets take place on the last Saturday. Unless a venue has been posted we'll meet at the Internet Cafe in the Mall beside the Europa Hotel in Great Victoria Street and go from there for a chat over a drink and possibly a bite to eat. There is a board for the Belfast meets so would members please keep an eye on it for updates.

There are several websites in the north of Ireland .. some in Belfast. Slowly but surely people living in Belfast and the north of Ireland are appearing on these sites... they are being invited to join in whenever Meets take place as we all have a common interest .. genealogy. I should also be able to meet more potential members by attending courses. I'll be making the occasional visit to PRONI .. when Joe and I were there on the 27th of July
I met a person who thought I worked there .. I gave her a RootsChat card because she was so kind .. imagine anyone thinking I work :D Possibly the sweatshirt with the logo made me look like an official of some type. Since no photos of the Belfast meet have been posted here's one of me looking official in the sweatshirt with the logo. Someone (no names as it's a living person) on the Photographic Restoration  board commented that the picture
I use with messages is a much better picture. Never mind .. not all photos can be good ones.

Chris

Offline Vonny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sunday 13 August 06 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Thanks so much for the information regarding the monthly Belfast meets, I will check the board out and hopefully make one of them in the not too distant future.

Good luck with your course!

Very best wishes

Vonny