Author Topic: Mckeggs in York?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline vanessa t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mckeggs in York?
« on: Wednesday 19 April 06 13:12 BST (UK) »
I found my great great grandmother on the 1881 census.
Bridget Mckegg living in York with son William aged 2years.
She says she is from Ireland.
I am now trying to find William on the 1901 census but to no avail.
I know he married in Leeds to Mary Mchale in 1899.
They had a son named John in leeds 1899.
I also know that by the time their second son, Dennis was born in 1902 they were living back in York.
I am pulling my hair out trying to find them on the 1901 census.
The misspelling of their surname also drives me mad. I have searched everywhere over the past few months.
Any help and fresh eyes would be appreciated.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Mckeggs in York?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 May 06 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hiya Vanessa,

I think Bridget probably came from the north of Ireland.
The name has been spelt incorrectly. Alternatives are McKaig, McKeag and McKeague. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McKaMcKel.htm This next site shows several more spelling variations than those I mentioned http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname

Best Wishes, Chris 

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 May 06 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Vanessa

Sorry we did not manage to find them either!

Can you tell us everything you know about the family, please?

Do you have certificates for the births and marriage? The addresses could be useful, as could the occupations of William and his father, if noted.  Even the marriage witnesses might help pin them down!

Have you located any of the family in 1891 and Bridget in 1901, or do you know what became of her?

Hoping to help,

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline vanessa t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 May 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hiya Christopher.

Thankyou for getting back to me.
I am trying to find out where the Mckeggs came from and your info is greatly appreciated.
Bridgets maiden name was CRANE according to her marriage cetificate to my great great grandfather DENNIS MCKEGG in 1878.
It also states that she was a widow at the time. I am now trying to find her first marrige to a chap called BREEN.I do not know if she married him in Ireland or England. There is no record of a marriage in England.
I have a feeling that these names may be misspelt as well.
Bridget was born in 1846. But as to where and when she came over to England is another matter.
Dennis died in 1880. She then remarried a chap named JOHN DRINKLE in 1881. Bridget died in York in 1892 aged 45years.
She had so much happening to her in her short life. Married and widowed 3 times.
I am looking forward to any info no matter how small for me to get my teeth into.
Of all my ancesters she fasinates me the most.
I am going to check the websites you have recomended to me on the Mckeggs.(all spellings).
I have got has far as a marriage in 1847 in Ripon North yorkshire of MY GREAT GREAT GREAT gradfather William Mccaig.(New spelling of the name).
He married a Mary ann Wakefield. She died aged 21years in 1850.
Thank you again Christopher for you advice.

Vanessa

Offline vanessa t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 May 06 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Arronroots.

Thank you for taking the trouble to look up the info for me.

I am having trouble getting William and Marys marriage certificate owing to the misspelling of Marys surname(but then again who knows which surname is the correct spelling).
I have also just found out that William could have been away in the 1899-1902 Boer War.
I have just recieved his burial details from Hugh Murray historian at York cemetry and it tells me that when he died in 1938 the British legion paid for his funaral.
I have been in touch with our local British legion and they are trying to help me find which regiment he was in and hopfully it will also give me an address for his family.

Thank you again.

Vanessa