Author Topic: Death of Henry Shaw, Ottawa  (Read 10044 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Henry Shaw, Ottawa
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 April 06 00:18 BST (UK) »
Ok, here's Eliza's death

Elizabeth Smith
Date of Death:  May 10, 1928
Address:  1 Sutton St., Toronto
At Place of Death:  10 years
Born:  Guelph, Ontario
Widow
Father:  James Mays, Ireland
Mother:  Catherine Toner, Ireland
Informant:  F. O'Callaghan, Nephew
Address of Informant:  1 Sutton St., Toronto
Place of Burial:  Guelph, Ontario
Cause of Death:  Brights Disease

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 April 06 01:05 BST (UK) »

Hi Karen !

I think that the regiment was named the Royal Canadians because it was formed to go to Canada in the 1700's! but I'm still looking into that !!

I also think that he was able to get a Kings Pardon because of Edward VII 's coronation .... but I'm still looking into that too !!

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 April 06 01:11 BST (UK) »
Here's another death for:

Mary O'Callaghan
Birth:  Canada
Address:  1 Sutton St., Toronto
Date of Death:  November 26, 1913
Widow

Looks like Mary was married to Frank O'Callaghan and her maiden name was Mays.

Does the name O'Callaghan mean anything??

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 April 06 06:48 BST (UK) »
Her sister Mary married Frank the same year http://www.ogs.on.ca/ogspi/188/m188o000.htm
O'CALLIGAN F.P. and MAYS Mary married 1881, Mary already a widow by 1901

AAAACH! Where is our little James a. Jr??????
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 23 April 06 07:03 BST (UK) »
Here's Catherine & Eliza also widows...on the 1901...The men did not live long in these families! Also with Eliza's sister Annie & a nephew...
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/DisplayPagePanb.jsp?id=108985&highlight=2

1884- James A. death....If this is the father he hardly had time to father a little girl and three boys....
http://ogs.on.ca/ogspi/188/o188s000.htm
Now the story is that both the father and mother had died prior to 1901? but our Eliza lives another 27 years...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 23 April 06 09:17 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, only been away from my computer for a day..... :o

Thank you so much everyone for your help and info which I've been trawling through.  And yes, sorry if it's confusing about my other thread on the 'military' board - will reply to that one, Annie, in a few minutes, on the other board!  (I really was just trying to tie up another loose end in that my grandfather was either caught for desertion, or gave himself up, in 1910 in England, and I was trying to ascertain what a certain phrase meant on his army records which might tell me......)

Unfortunately, nothing which you very kind people have dug up seems to ring any bells with me about my grandfather, other than the coincidence of finding someone called James Aloysius Smith.   ???  And no, sorry, O'Callaghan doesn't figure..... ???

Somehow James/John ends up in London in 1900 aged either 16 or 19, giving sketchy details on any family.  None of my family recalls him having any contact with, or talking about, any family he had left in Canada (he died in 1975, officially aged 94).  One aunt reckons that he didn't know his parents - ie was put in an orphanage at a young age (although he did refer to these 2 brothers and to a father called Henry Shaw on various documents).

I suppose I'm still rather stuck on him being brought up in a ?Christian Brothers' orphanage, which is how the story goes.  If there is no record of him being born on 1 Jan 1881 in Ottawa using either of his names, and we can't find a father called Henry Arthur Shaw (or not conclusively), is there any possibility that there might be orphanage records??  Christian Brothers?  Ottawa area?  Needle in a haystack!!   :-\

Clara
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 23 April 06 16:51 BST (UK) »
Here's the earliest photo I have of my grandfather aged about 45, when he married my grandmother in Birmingham in 1926.

Looks rather a shady character!!  :o  (though I remember him as a jolly little bloke, always joking).  He's remembered as a "lovable rogue"!!
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 23 April 06 19:22 BST (UK) »
That's a great picture Clara!  He looks like he would have had a few stories to tell  :)

Here's a death registration for:

Henry A. Shaw
Date of Death:  Feb. 5, 1881
Place of Birth:  Ireland
Cause of Death:  Verdict, died in the Agnes St., Police Station of Apoplexy
Toronto, Ontario

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 23 April 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England