Author Topic: Eaglestone-Ettershank marriage etc.  (Read 3042 times)

Offline GeorgeJen

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eaglestone-Ettershank marriage etc.
« on: Friday 21 April 06 02:06 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Christina Eaglestone. She married John Edward Ettershank (b. 6/4/1831, Ratho) around 1850, in Scotland. They migrated to Austalia as husband and wife from Liverpool on SS Kalmia, arriving Dec 1852. They were accompanied by John’s brother Edward Lothian Ettershank and Christina’s brother William. Any information about the Eaglestone family would be gratefully received!
Thanks, George.
Ettershank in Aberdeenshire and Lanarkshire, as well as Australia, Canada, Sth Africa, New Zealand.
Allan and Eke in Northumberland and Eke in Norfolk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eaglestone-Ettershank marriage etc.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 06 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hi George

I just had a hunch - they didn't marry in Scotland. They married in England, which in this case is a bonus, as before 1855 start of Civil Registration in Scotland, you may not have learned her fathers's name - which should be on the English records after 1837!

You can find the marriage references here:
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Marriages December Quarter 1850
District Hinckley
Ref: Vol 15,  Page 163

Christiana EAGLESTONE
John ETTENSHANK   or   ETTERSHANK

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline GeorgeJen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 06 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ambly,
Thank you so much for this - I looked in ancestry.co.uk without success, and I could not coax it out of FreeBMD either - you must have a magic touch!
Now I need to find her birth and her family.
There is a rather touching end to her story. Her husband John was very successful here in Australia, as a grazier and as a stock and station agent. It seems he amassed a fortune. When his wife sickened, he took her back to Scotland(?)(so the story goes) where she died. John & Christiana returned to Liverpool on SS Great Britain Oct 1860.
I now have to find her death and burial. If you have any suggestions I would be grateful.
Thanks again and cheers,
George.
Ettershank in Aberdeenshire and Lanarkshire, as well as Australia, Canada, Sth Africa, New Zealand.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 06 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi George

That is a sad story - it reminds me of the old song "I'll take you home again Kathleen..."

If she did die in Scotland, and if you have a creditcard, you could be moments away from finding her death record- and if it occured in Scotland, it will name both her parents.  Go to this site - free to Register but costs to obtain the records.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

I've done a free search of the Deaths 1855 to 1955, and a female named Christina ETTERSHANK did die in Scotland in 1862, aged 32.  This was the only likely match.

I can't say for certain this is your Christine as I can't get  the match to come up with "other surname" EAGLESTONE, but it may be because they have spelled it some way i haven't happened to try. On the other hand, ETTERSHANK is uncommon - only 86 deaths of that spelling anyway, between 1855 and 1955. so chances are it her.

The other thing is, they may also be on the 1861 Census for Scotland. You can search that also on the same site, but in this case be wary of spelling variations.  If you haven't used Scotlands people before, it costs 6pound for 30 credits - that's abt $16 NZ.  One death cert would cost you 6 credits (1 to  view index, and if you see the right one, 5 to download the image) .

Let us know her parents names when you find them !

Good Luck!
Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline GeorgeJen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 April 06 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ambly,
This is certainly the lady - the date fits fine. Her name seems to be variously listed as Christina or Christianna. I have a sub with Scotland's People, but I try to get a number of lookups as the credits you buy expire in 5 days. However, this gives me a lead.
I also think I found her in the 1841 census. Father Joseph b1801, Mother Elizabeth b 1801, Christianna and Mary b. 1826, William b. 1828, Clement b. 1838. Lived in Byfield, Northamptonshire.

Looks a lot tidier now! By the way, I am in Tasmania, Australia, not NZ!

Again, many thanks,
George.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 April 06 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi George

;D  knew you were across the pond, but thought NZ$ was a closer comaprison than GBP! Mind you,  these days....!

I thought Christi(a)na might have those parents names - I had found this IGI christening - but the year is a bit out on the age at death......
Christiana Eaglestone 
24 SEP 1826   Rothwell, Northampton, England
Parents: Joseph Eaglestone  and Elizabeth     

Cheers
AMBLY
NZ

Offline GeorgeJen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 April 06 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi! Unfortunately, when I checked ScotlandsPeople, it was the wrong Christina - this one had as her other surname Cawthorne, i.e. she had married an Ettershank but not the right one! Another mystery!
It is odd, though, that although they had a statutory system, deaths were obviously not registered - I've had this before.
I'll go to the east verandah and wave to you!
Cheers, George.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 April 06 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi George

Just picked up on this post from the General board. Re my post on the Lanarkshire board today, you do have the correct death entry for Chritiana.  To confuse matters, her father Joseph's name is Cawthorne Eaglestone. Her death entry has been indexed as other names just Cawthorne (not Eaglestone).

Ambly's find on IGI for her christening would appear to be correct. Her mother was Elizabeth Mary Haywood. As for the age at death being 3 years out, a woman's prerogative! Everything else is correct.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 05:21 BST (UK) »
Oh! Wow Monica! Great find   ;D

George, you have a good looking Verandah  ;D
I have been pondering that one since you posted it was wrong woman - I was so sure it was her, then I saw the ship entry for the trip to Liverpool in 1860 where she was listed as age 23 (which could not be correct if she married 1850)......

If you have access to the UK census records and can look up further - I found a snippet re:  1861 Census of an entry for a female Christian ETTERSHANK in Surrey, who was age 30 and born in Northamptonshire (Christian is the old Scots form of Christine/a) - could this be her with members her birth family (parents, siblings) before she and John  made their way up to Scotland?

Also a John ETTERSHANK in Lancashire aged 39, born Aberdeen. Could that be him - even though he was born in the Midlothian, perhaps he considered Aberdeen as 'where he was from' - and if he was a stock agent, he could have been in Liverpool doing business in that regard, a lot of stock agents operated from Liverpool arranging ships, employees and stock.........?

Cheers
AMBLY