Author Topic: Help with a lookup Please  (Read 4255 times)

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with a lookup Please
« on: Saturday 22 April 06 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
 Could someone with any spare credits lookup a birth for me. I have just found out my G Grandfather was born in Brechin, Forfarshire, I have been looking for him for ever but now have his military records hence i know now where he was born, but not his date of birth,he was born either 1852 or 1853, Fathers name Andrew mother's not known. I need the ref no so i can send for a copy of his birth. Thanks in advance, Vanda
I'm researching both sides of my family so I'm looking for a lot of info hence a lot of names!!<br />My main interest at present is for LAWSON, Scotland   CRONK, Edenbridge Kent, Croydon.   LEIGHTON, Scotland.  BROWN Ireland and London, WARBURTON.Cheshire, Worcestershire and Canada PARTRIDGE

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 06 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Vanda

You've forgotten to say what your g grandfather's name was!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 06 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
 Blonde moment ( don't have Senior ones LOL )
His name is John Lawson, Thanks
Vanda
I'm researching both sides of my family so I'm looking for a lot of info hence a lot of names!!<br />My main interest at present is for LAWSON, Scotland   CRONK, Edenbridge Kent, Croydon.   LEIGHTON, Scotland.  BROWN Ireland and London, WARBURTON.Cheshire, Worcestershire and Canada PARTRIDGE

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 06 19:43 BST (UK) »
Vanda

A search on SP for a John L*son* with father Andrew anywhere in Scotland between 1850-54 produced only one entry. This is in Dalserf, Lanark not Angus. Parents Andrew and Janet Wilson. From IGI this couple are showing 6 children including a John, all born in Lanarkshire.

Regards.

Monica

I omitted to say this birth is in 1851.

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 April 06 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Dont think thats the one, but i am only taking his birthplace from his attestation papers when he joined The Seaforth Highlanders.
 Many thanks for you help though.
Vanda

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 April 06 20:16 BST (UK) »
The search I did on SP was for the whole of Scotland and unfortunately nothing came up other than the Lanarkshire entry which is a pity.

Regards.

Monica

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 April 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
  Tis a shame, I have looked for him for ages., cant find him on 1837 either. Thankyou for taking the time to look for me though,
Vanda   :(

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 April 06 21:11 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for the father Andrew Lawson in the 1851 census which is available from Scotlands People website? 

Also Brechin does not fall within the "traditional" recruitment area for the Seaforth Higlanders ( google Seaforth Highlanders and the main site indicates that they tended to recruit from areas further north than Brechin)
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 April 06 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherlock,
 At the moment i haven't access to  SP, I have 26 credits but my time has run out. It defiantly said Forfarshire, Brechin is a Little unreadable but i think i have it correct.
John is causing me problems as until i saw his military history i knew very little about him.
Will google Seaforth's and have a look tho, Thanks.
Vanda