Author Topic: Lark Hall Macclesfield area  (Read 4676 times)

Offline NepalMo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lark Hall Macclesfield area
« on: Sunday 23 April 06 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about a building in the Macclesfield area that was in use in 1841 as a multi occupied dwelling ?  It may be the one that is currently situated in Buxton Road, which appears to be late Victorian, but maybe it is early Victorian.

William Adshead had some of the space in the building along with various farming families in 1841. 

If you have any information about the building or William Adshead and his relatives please let me know.

NepalMo

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lark Hall Macclesfield area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 06 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Go to www.old-maps.co.uk and type in Macclesfield.  When the small map appears click on the right arrow three times and Lark Hill appears in the centre of the map, then click on Enlarge View.  Rather than a "multi occupied building",  it would be more likely to have been a group of workers cottages situated in the grounds of the main building. 

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline LDWH

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 June 13 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about a building in the Macclesfield area that was in use in 1841 as a multi occupied dwelling ?  It may be the one that is currently situated in Buxton Road, which appears to be late Victorian, but maybe it is early Victorian.

William Adshead had some of the space in the building along with various farming families in 1841. 

If you have any information about the building or William Adshead and his relatives please let me know.

NepalMo

A late reply but I knew Lark Hall very well as a child in the 1960's / and 1970's.  My mother grew up next door and had family actually at Lark Hall who I remember as a child. 

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 June 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
If you go to  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0urk/ you can see the hall and other buildings on the 1836-51 Tithe Map. In the 1851 Census William Adshead was the occupier of the Hall.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk