Author Topic: Will do lookups various books  (Read 3976 times)

Offline yukongal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will do lookups various books
« on: Sunday 23 April 06 21:53 BST (UK) »
I have several booklets and will do some lookups, books are:

General Register of Sasines, Banff, Elgin, Forres, Nairn & Kincardine 1701-1720 (Sasines are records of transfer of lands some within family members)

Birth Briefs of Aberdeen, this is a fascinating record of declarations sworn under oath primarily of people born outside of Scotland, showing their parents names including maiden names.

Kirkyard of Keithhall & Kinkell - memorial inscriptions

Dorothy (Wilson) Graham
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Barlowclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Will do lookups various books
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Wow what a nice offer. I am looking for my Lovie relatives that look like they hail from Boyndie Banff. David Lovie born 1829 married Ellen Shepherd, his parents names were James Lovie born circa 1806 and Hannah Gow, she was in the 1841 census however he had remarried by 1851. James Lovie's father was John Lovie not to sure who his mother was. Any help would be greatly appreciated in my never ending quest to find information.
Warm Regards
Wendy B.
Barlow Ireland, Liverpool Australia, Canavan, Gibson Scotland, London, Australia, James, Tweedie Carlyle, Dobney, Lovie Banff, Australia, Brownhill, Maddern, Lawrey, Ely, Poulter

Offline yukongal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 06 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy
I have a surname index for the 1851 census for Banffshire but no Lovies in it tried Luvie etc no luck

In the Keithhall & Kinkell kirkyard booklet, there is a listing in the Keithhall portion "Erected by Betty Davidson in memory of her husband ROBERT LAWIE d. Kinmuck 5 Apr. 1892 aged 69, said Betty Davidson d. South Lodge, Keith-hall 15 Apr. 1913 aged 82".  I always check similar names spelling being what is was.

General Reg. of Sasines counties of Banff, Elgin Forres, Nairn & Kincardine 1701-1720 - The closest was Logie, George son of Andrew L. of Loanhead 1.10.1706 (SRO RS16 90.81)

Birth Briefs of Aberdeen 1637-1705 nothing close at all.

Who Comes Here 1750=1985 (Masonic history at Keith) the only similar name was Alex Logie, fochabers a member in 1796.

Sorry I couldn't find your David, good luck with your research.

Dorothy

Offline Barlowclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 May 06 04:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dorothy I really appreciate all your effort. I think I have hit a brick wall with this line of my family.
Warm Regards
Wendy B.
Barlow Ireland, Liverpool Australia, Canavan, Gibson Scotland, London, Australia, James, Tweedie Carlyle, Dobney, Lovie Banff, Australia, Brownhill, Maddern, Lawrey, Ely, Poulter

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,
I'm grasping at straws approaching you.  In my husband's line, I've followed a Wm Shirras, tinsmith lampmaker, up from Northumberland but have lost the family in Old Machar, Aberdeen.  The earliest date I've got is a baptism of John 1803 to John & Isabel.   

There's been some musings that the family lived in Banff but I wouldn't know.  I'm English born and bred and pronounce the surname as 'sheer-ass' but my cousin up in Aberdeen pronounced the name 'sherris'.  Presumably ye olde spelling has changed.

All thoughts appreciated.
Rena

I have several booklets and will do some lookups, books are:

General Register of Sasines, Banff, Elgin, Forres, Nairn & Kincardine 1701-1720 (Sasines are records of transfer of lands some within family members)

Birth Briefs of Aberdeen, this is a fascinating record of declarations sworn under oath primarily of people born outside of Scotland, showing their parents names including maiden names.

Kirkyard of Keithhall & Kinkell - memorial inscriptions

Dorothy (Wilson) Graham
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline yukongal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena

Offline yukongal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena
I have looked at all my little booklets etc.  and the only close name is in the Keithhall Kirkyard cemetery listing that is of an Agnes SHIVAS Gibb d. Woodside of Kinmuck 28 Feb.1918 age 22 also Barbara H.S. Gibb d. Belwade Dess 6 June 1931 aged 33. 

There is nothing in the 1851 census - however, I know there is a family (related to me actually) of Shiach which is gaelic for Shaw.   Could your name be gaelic?

Sorry I can't help, have you done a search on the Hugh Wallis, batch number site? just google Hugh Wallis, I have had lots of luck on the Banffshire listings there.

Good luck
Dorothy

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,
Thanks for taking the time to check.   I thought maybe they might have been in the sasine listing.  The surname Shirras does mean sheriff  (but not of Nottingham or Dodge City:-))   When my brother-in-law was given the family bible about 10 yrs ago he was told that somebody in the Shirras line had been mayor of Aberdeen (probably meant provost of Aberdeen).  I haven't discovered who or when.   I found some entries of the surname in the online Scotsman newspaper archive but need other documented facts.   I do know about Hugh Wallis site but he's only got what the IGI were originally given permission to film and I've also gone thro the online Aberdeenshire graveyard names but as yet I haven't recognised family tombstone groupings.
thanks again, much appreciated.
Rena in the wettest drought we've ever had:-) 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline hmorrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 December 22 01:24 GMT (UK) »

There is nothing in the 1851 census - however, I know there is a family (related to me actually) of Shiach which is gaelic for Shaw.   Could your name be gaelic?

Hi Dorothy, 
Your comment about having links to the surname Shiach caught my eye - my 4x great grandmother was Isobel Shiach (daughter of William Shiach and Margaret Farquhar), she was born in Elgin, Longbride, Morayshire 29/1/1761.  She married William Anderson on 7/11/1786 and died 11/3/1854 at Logie, Gamrie, Banffshire.   
I live in Ireland and had never heard of the surname prior to tracing back my ancestral line - I would have thought it uncommon but maybe that's not the case in Scotland?
Best,
Hazel
Morrison, Costello, King, Williams, Hanbury, Watt, Anderson, Shiach, Farquhar, Davies, Browne, Pierce, Simmons, Hamilton, Kirkpatrick, Bole, Archey, Halliday