Author Topic: WILKES of Gloucestershire  (Read 16480 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WILKES of Gloucestershire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 October 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Warren

Happy to have you on board!  :)

Although John originally posted in 2004, I see that he has been online quite recently, so hopefully will get back to you before long!  How exciting!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline johnfw

• RootsChat Member
  • 5 convict ancestors !! how bad does it get ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 October 10 23:37 BST (UK) »
Warren

Yes there is a connection. Your grandfather Charles Henry son of Edwin Robert, then my connection is from William a brother of Edwin Robert (Samuel Hickling, William and Edwin Robert original immigrants with parents Charles and Mary Piggin). The family of William ended up in Lindfield with Coaches and drays then dairy on what is now Killara Golf links.

John
WILKES WILKS; Gloucester
PIGGIN; Leicester

Offline wmwilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 02:39 BST (UK) »
John

Thank you for your reply. This clarifies the connection . I am new to this and this has been a good start. Horses and drays must have been a family trait, for Edwin Robert did the same at Glebe. Just out of interest did you find where "Colony's Bush" was located  Waterloo? .I seem to have followed your path to Hurstville Society etc. I am in the phone book if I can assist in anyway with your reseach

Regards Warren
Wilkes/Piggin

Offline johnfw

• RootsChat Member
  • 5 convict ancestors !! how bad does it get ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 03:34 BST (UK) »
Warren

Conoly's Bush or whatever recording is now Connels point, Charles had a farm there and is buried at the Church of England St George/ Hurstville which also had many names.
Greville's Post Office Directory for 1872 has Mary listed as freeholder, Conolly's Bush, Gannon's Forrest (Hurstville)
Charles lived in the Waterloo Estate around Botany Road / Wyndham Street / Raglan Street and was a builder / stone mason. Indentures issued over the period of 1855 to 1862 for leases of properties to various others for up to periods of 99 years. 

This is just some of my recorded detail, I differed from the Hurstville Historical Society research on Charles connection to Berkeley which I eliminated and followed up through Gloucester City Area.

John
WILKES WILKS; Gloucester
PIGGIN; Leicester

Offline OzDubs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 June 15 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi reading this is so exciting - my great parents were Edwin Robert Wilkes and Emily Funston, my grandparents were Edwin Norman Wilkes (always known as Norman) and Enid - due to public nature of this site I won't write anymore family tree - my dad was born in Glebe - would love to know more of the family history - I always thought Pa (ERW) had horse trams in Glebe Dubs

Offline wmwilk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 June 15 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes you are right Edwin Robert Snr had a Bus company in the early 1900's from Glebe to the Tivoli . Edwin Robert Jnr was  later the Bus Properitor and Charles Henry the Bus Manager, they operated then from Broughton street Glebe

Regards Warren
Wilkes/Piggin

Offline OzDubs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 June 15 01:34 BST (UK) »
thank you for that information - it is so amazing - my dad has memories but lacking on details - I have found that Charles lived at 29 Hereford Road Glebe and Edwin Jr lived at 27 Hereford Road Glebe - also Edwin Sr lived at 149 Lang Road Centennial Park - wonderful when you Google their houses now although Lang Road looks like Fox Studios now - so your dad and my grandad must have been cousins - great to connect thanks D x

Offline wmwilk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 June 15 01:51 BST (UK) »
If you like you can get in touch I am in the phone book at Caringbah . Happy to speak to you and send what I have on the family.
Regards
Warren
Wilkes/Piggin

Offline OzDubs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 June 15 01:57 BST (UK) »
thanks I will get in contact and do you have any idea what the bus company was called

I was wondering if the Teddy Wilkes below was a relation - do you know thanks D.
http://thehistoryofmatt.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/patonga-nsw-history.html
No doubt the most affluent residence of all was that of the Wilkes family. It was established overlooking Patonga Creek and covered over one acre.” Teddy” Wilkes was the founder of E.F. Wilkes & Company which had a large showroom in Castlereagh Street Sydney, and dealt in the radio business. Radios were as scarce as hens’ teeth in that era, as very few people could afford them. They were a large part of household furniture and grew in popularity as did television in the 1960’s.