Author Topic: Illigitimate or not  (Read 1690 times)

Offline suee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Illigitimate or not
« on: Thursday 27 April 06 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Would be greatfull for any advice :-\
William Dale born 1823, in Cheshire possible Burleydam Audlem, i am trying to find his parants.
I know he was married to a Ann Wilcock in 1852  on marriage cert say fathers name Illegitimate.
Ann died in 1873 William then remarried in 1874 to a Mary wright marriage cert says father James Dale Deceased.
How can i find his parants, did he take his mothers married name Dale and was born to his mothers maiden name ?
Did he find out his fathers name later in life but if ILLEGITIMATE why would he be a Dale.
Dont know which way to go.  ::)
sue
staffordshire, plants,cottons,woodcocks,bailey,timmis
cheshire, woodcocks timmis,dale,bailey

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Illigitimate or not
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 06 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sue,

I assume you do not know whether William's mother's maiden name was Dale or her married name was Dale. Could she have had an affair with a man named Dale in Ireland, been sent away from home in disgrace and taken the first boat to England ??? Cheshire would be a reasonable place to settle..not too far from the coast and she may have know people living there. I worked on the theory that his father (surname Dale) could be still living in Ireland so looked at Griffiths Valuation (1848-64). I found 39 men named James and 35 named William. It is possible that Ann told William the story about his father prior to her death. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

I hope you get a few more suggestions as following this theory could involve a somewhat lengthy search eliminating the Irish Dales.

All the Best, Christopher

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 06 15:35 BST (UK) »
 Hello Sue.

My husbands Great Grandfather was born in 1837 and was illigitimate. He took his Mothers maiden name as his own on his birth certificate  and on his marriage certificate gave his Grandfathers name as his father.
  He then married and had 14 children all taking his mothers maiden name as their surname! Of course non of this was found out until researching in the 1980's!!! 
   Maybe that is what is behind your problem!!

Cheers.

Mrs Noah
On the canals...Turton, Wood, Mann,Cartwright, Neale, Grainger, Littlemore, Taylor. etc
Black country ancestors.... Beesley, Tranter, Fellows Barker, Perry, Evans, Glover.
also researching Birtwisle and Darby.

Offline Kimi

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 April 06 15:58 BST (UK) »
That's exactly what happened with mine.  My GGG Grandfather and his siblings were illigitimate and took their Mother's maiden name as their own, and it's still going strong.  As yet, I haven't managed to find out who their Fathers were.  :'(

Kim
Ryder- Limehouse/Canning Town.
Couley- Limehouse. 
Hogben- Canning Town/Kent
Richbell- Kent.
Davies - Lancashire
Lester - Berkshire

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 April 06 20:14 BST (UK) »
 Hi Kim.

We are going off on our own here !! but Heh!!
  I have no idea either who my husbands G Gfather was , there are thoughts on who he was but nothing substancial ! makes it more fun really!!

Just as an aside, my Grandfather was illigitimate also and took the surname of his mothers fancy man! and what is worse my mother thinking it was her real surname used it as one of my christian names! hows that for confusion!!

Mrs Noah!!
On the canals...Turton, Wood, Mann,Cartwright, Neale, Grainger, Littlemore, Taylor. etc
Black country ancestors.... Beesley, Tranter, Fellows Barker, Perry, Evans, Glover.

Offline suee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 April 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had all responces at once, As you all say there are so many possibilities, i will certainly look into every possibility.
I have asked for a search at chester for his baptism hoping thay find his mother and possible father.
It will be a few weeks wait :( but it may tell me !
Thanks also to Christopher and Kimi for there responce.
I find the differant responces very intresting  :)
Suee
staffordshire, plants,cottons,woodcocks,bailey,timmis
cheshire, woodcocks timmis,dale,bailey

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 April 06 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hiya Mrs Noah,

It could be interesting tracing the family of your Grandfather's mother's fancy man. You might find that being a fancy man is like being a docker..an occupation traditionally handed down from father to son :D  Fancy men may well explain why some genealosists tend to lose menfolk in the families they are researching occasionally..they are in someone else's family. Should we have a special fancy man thread for strange men appearing in family trees ...they could be deposited there until claimed by someone who recognised their description. Photographs could be submitted too making identification so much easier.

Chris

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 April 06 20:47 BST (UK) »
 Chris.

Just love your reply. It makes you wonder doesn't it just who is someones father ,  at the end of the day it could be just about anyone!!

I have my thoughts on the 'fancy' man though, my great gran had 4 illigitimate children and they all took the non surname! so was the man in question already married and for some reason not able to marry???????? perhaps i need to look deeper into this .............

Mrs Noah