Author Topic: Wolverhampton marriage look up please - Enoch Hampton 1862  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Sandy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wolverhampton marriage look up please - Enoch Hampton 1862
« on: Saturday 29 April 06 13:06 BST (UK) »

I am looking for details of a marriage registered in Wolverhampton in Dec 1862 between:

Enoch Hampton (born 1841) and Ann Stokes (possibly born 1841)

I have Enoch Hampton in my tree and in different censuses he is shown as having Mary Ann, Mary or Ann as his wife.  I am hoping that this marriage record will sort this out for me as I don't know his wife's maiden name as yet.

All other details about Enoch have been centred around Coseley, Tipton and Woolstanton areas.  Is Wolverhampton far from there?

I also don't have any definite death details for Enoch either - if anyone could help with that I would be very grateful.

Many thanks 
Tschoeltsch (or Tscholtsch), Krischke from Prussia/Germany
Hampton, Parkes, Tromans from Tipton, Coseley, Woodsetton in Staffordshire.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverhampton marriage look up please - Enoch Hampton 1862
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 06 10:35 BST (UK) »
it may be a bit far fetched,but have you considered the possibility that the original Ann may have died,and that Enoch may have married again to a Mary Ann?.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 06 10:43 BST (UK) »
The information is a bit conflicted.

You "don't know the wife's maiden name", yet you are def. looking for Mary Ann Stokes?

So the questions for me are:
How have you arrived at these search criteria when you would appear to have such large gaps in all the other info?

Are you expected someone on here to produce all the details from that certificate, or merely the refererence?

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Sandy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 April 06 21:43 BST (UK) »
William

Yes that is a possibility that Enoch remarried.
To be honest I haven't found many references to marriages for an  Enoch Hampton around that time.  It isn't a very common name really so I am hoping that this marriage in Wolverhampton maybe him.
Thank you for your reply

Sandy

Offline Sandy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 April 06 22:19 BST (UK) »
Pauline

Thank you for your reply.

I don't yet know that this marriage is the one I am looking for so no I don't know that Ann Stokes was Enoch's wife's name yet.

As there aren't many marriage references  for an Enoch Hampton online at around the time he was eligible to marry (and later) - and this one fits in with the timeframe I have for him then it seemed a logical step to request some help. 

He was born in 1841. In the 1861 census he was still living with his parents.
His first child was born about 1864.

I do have the reference for this marriage thank you, but obviously if anyone was going to the records office and could spare the time to find me more details then I would be most grateful. 

I am not sure what details would be on a marriage record from that time though - any offers from anyone on that one?

As a "look up request" board I thought  the idea was to ask for help - if I am wrong then apologies all round.

Sandy

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 May 06 10:09 BST (UK) »

I do have the reference for this marriage thank you, but obviously if anyone was going to the records office and could spare the time to find me more details then I would be most grateful.

No more information would be available from the GRO/local office  unless you purchase the certificate. 

I hope that this clears up some misunderstandings. Information about what is recorded on each era of certificates would be best read up on from a site such as ukbmd/ freebmd/ www.genuki.org.uk

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline handm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 06 19:47 BST (UK) »
In answer to your first posting, Coseley, Tipton and Wolverhampton are all in the same area (South Staff/ West Midlands) but Wolstanton is in north Staffs, about 30-40 miles away.
Handm
Names: Glover, Bissell, Gregory, Rigby, Willett, Wright, Taylor, Coleclough ,Wells, Foster, Morris, Weatherer, Spooner, James

Census information is Crown Copywright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 10:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry Handm I meant Woodsetton not Wolstanton - must have been a good drop of wine!!!

I was just a bit puzzled as to why Wolverhampton should crop up when all the other references to that family seem to be Coseley, Tipton and Sedgley.  Maybe Enoch's wife was from the Wolverhampton area.

When you don't know an area it is difficult to try and picture the towns and villages, and the distances between them.  Also, I find it difficult sometimes to know which records office or library different records will be - Sandwell, Dudley, Wolverhampton ........  I'll get there in the end with the help of kind people like yourself.

Thanks for your reply

Sandy

Offline Sandy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pauline.

I am trying to keep the cost down by not buying too many certificates but I'll probably have to purchase this one eventually.

It makes it fun asking people for their input too so it would be very boring to just go and buy every certificate.

Sandy