Author Topic: Walter Ashmore Sheffield  (Read 3444 times)

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Ashmore Sheffield
« on: Sunday 30 April 06 10:55 BST (UK) »
Looking for where and when Walter Ashmore died He was born in Sheffield in 1864, Married Jane Ann Bullivant in 1881 in Sheffield Had one child Bertie  born 1887/88.  Suspect there may have been  a son who died young. Lived in Attercliffe, occupation penknife grinder.  Died between 1887 and 1891 (when Jane is listed as widow and living with parents)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Ashmore Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 06 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
At the moment you can search all BMDs free on www.ancestry.co.uk.   Choose the Beta option.
Andrea

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
I've tried that and nothing comes up. 

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 April 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
I agree that nothing comes up.   I then checked census records to check his age and in 1891 he is still there.  Atleast it looks very like him!
RG12 3826 f113 p14  5 Lord St Sheffield
Waletr Ashmore 26 pen knife grinder
Mary wi 26
Harriet da 2
William so 8 months
William Boden father in law 49 blacksmith all b Sheffield

Could you have got on to the wrong line or are there two of them?   Or was he a bigamist??  He would have been very young to marry in 1881 and there is another Walter Ashmore in Sheffield who is older.
Andrea

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 April 06 19:21 BST (UK) »
Ref.  RG12/3839 Folio 61 (my Ancestry disc puts the family name as Bulling but a view of the original shows they are mostly Bullivant except Jane Ashmore daughter and widow and grandson Bertie Ashmore.  There are a lot of Walter Ashmores but none seem to fit.  He was definitely alive in 1881 as he was in the census then married that year in Sept.  Bertie was born 1887/88. so father had to be alive then or at least 9 months before the birth so death had to occur between 88 and 91.  He was a grinder so death at a young age was not unusual.   

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 May 06 09:14 BST (UK) »
This is very odd as actually it is Betie , grandchild female according to the image .   Is this a mistake?
The Walter born 1864/5 would seem to be alive so you need another one from somewhere but I am concerned that there are a few errors here.  Can you find Bertie later or have you tried to find a Betie?
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 06 09:30 BST (UK) »
Walter of 1864  is on the 1901 census too with his family so he is certainly out of the possibilities.  Do you have the marriage certificate for Jane and Walter?  What is his age and his father's name.
Andrea

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 06 10:52 BST (UK) »
Marriage Jane Ann Bullivant to Walter Ashmore 9c 472 in September 1881.  Checked births and census.  The only fit I've got at the moment is a Beatrice born in 1888 9c 565.  There is a Bertie born in Lancashire but I think he's too old and anyway birthplace is certainly Sheffield on the census.  Walter's family I thought was  John and Alice Ashmore, siblings Cornelius,Willie, and James. but perhaps I've assigned the wrong family to him.  I didn''t think so.  I wish the census had put what sex the child was it would help.  I shall search for Beatrice in the 1901 census and see if I fair any better.

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 May 06 11:04 BST (UK) »
Found child Beatrice Ashmore born 20th May 1887 and mother's name Jane Ann Ashmore but no father mentioned.  Found in Family search.