Author Topic: CASSIDY family in Jersey  (Read 1411 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
CASSIDY family in Jersey
« on: Monday 01 May 06 02:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about my CASSIDY family, who lived on Jersey between about 1800 and the mid 1800s.

The earliest link I have is Thomas CASSIDY.  He is listed on General Don's military muster for Jersey, 1815, with one woman, one female child and one male child.  If this is the right family, then the woman is his wife Mary and the children would be his son Thomas (my 3 x great grandfather) and an unknown daughter.  There is a possible for Mary and two ?daughters, Mary and Margaret, on the 1841 census for Jersey, on Ann Street, St Helier. 

I suspect that Thomas the younger and his wife (Catherine LENNON or SIMMONS - marriage date and place unknown) were in Ireland for a time, as their last known child Margaret was born there about 1844, and they don't show up in 1841 on the island.  All their other children from the first, Rosetta, in 1831, were born on Jersey. 

Thomas and Catherine and family appear in 1851 in St Helier, also on Ann Street - this is where Mary CASSIDY and two daughters were living in 1841 and I think therefore that the families are related.  Thomas and Catherine are both shown as being born in Ireland.

Apart from Rosetta in 1861 (who by then had married Arthur LANGWORTHY) there is no sighting of the CASSIDYs on Jersey again.

The family were obviously Irish and probably Catholic.  I know that there is a Thomas CASSIDY who was baptised in 1817 at St Mary and St Peter church in Jersey.  Is this my Thomas junior?  If so, why was he baptised there, and not in Ireland where he was apparently born? 

I would really appreciate some help with this family.  In particular, I'd like to try to find deaths/burials for the CASSIDYs on Jersey - does anyone in the know have any ideas where I should be looking?

Many thanks in anticipation - and apologies for this rambling account!  I will try to be more succinct if you need more info.
 :)
Cheers
Prue

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
Re: CASSIDY family in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 19:42 BST (UK) »
 Dear Prue,

I will look through through  what records are available from St Mary & St Peters church which are limited. I  viewed the 1851  census film and will begin with the youngest child  which looks like Margaret, is this correct and try to find her baptism which should be about 1844. This will give parents and hopefully god parents. Iwill also keep an eye open for Thomas Snr ,just bear with me and I will get back.

Best WIishes
Scatty
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 21:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Scatty, that would be fantastic  :D :D :D
Yes, Margaret is the youngest daughter and appears to have been born in Ireland.  Do you need any further information about the other children of Thomas and Catherine?
Thank you so much for your help  :) :) :)
Prue

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hello again PrueM,
I have checked through St Mary & St Peters Baptism index, period 1811 to 1839. These are the only  available records  for public viewing at the archive centre  for this church so I will outline as follows a couple of Cassidy Families . Please let me know if this is of any help or if you need a follow up.

1st Family
Parents Thomas & Catherina

children

Rosetta baptised 7/11/1831 which iseems to be your Rosetta
Maria baptised 18/10/1833
Franciscus Fredericus baptised 17/2/1838
Jacobus Andreas baptised 1835 but seems to be two dates,will need to clarify which

2nd Family

Parents Hugh & Mary

children

Judith baptised 1822
Owen baptised 1830
Thomas baptised 1828
If you would like further dates on these I will look further

There was also a baptism in 1817 for Thomas son of Thomas & Mary

Do get back if anything else I can do

Scatty

Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 21:45 BST (UK) »
Wonderful!  :D
Thank you scatty  :-*

I will digest all this info and get back to you.

Many, many thanks!  :)

Prue